Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joe

My son needs a summer job

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

17 yo with transportation in N. NJ. Ben is known to some on this board.

He's a good kid, pretty good with tools, & a hard worker when motivated (I mean he IS 17 wink.gif )

Any leads would be appreciated...

Thanks!

Send him to Umpire school. $45 per game ain't too shabby, if he's able to get 4 games on teh weekend that's $180 cash, plus he can find a during the week job.

Of course, that's if he's not playing summer ball.

It amazes me on how hard it can be for a kid to get a job these days. My 17 yr old has actually endured 2 intervies at toysRUS to for an entry level stockboy position. Same for a local supermarket chain, 2 interviews not to get a job bagging groceries! Man the competition is stiff. In both cases , they interviewed over 100 applicants fro a few positions. 20 years ago, if you were breathing you were hired on the spot for this level of a job.

In his case he fianally got a job at a mom &pop greenhouse ( mainly because he went back twice to ask if they had chosen yet.)

The 19 year old had offers at two summer camps paying more than $10 per hour. She took a job at a manufacturing plant for a big corporation. $14.00 / hr. - Painting, Light cleanup, etc.

There seems to be plenty of jobs around. The thing is, you have to start the search early.... I.e., she started 2 months ago.

Check any local golf courses, I know in Long Island, they are always looking for young kids. Private clubs that have caddies are even better. Big $$$ looping, plus it's not a bad way to spend a day.

Tony