Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
black label

jet lathe blown motor

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

has this ever happen to anybody. should i get new motor or get this one rebuilt.just got the lathe in june have maybe 3 hrs on it and it is smoked. got it off ebay so i guess no warranty?

Contact Jet out in CA.

If you have a motor rebuilding facility near by it may be a smart move to rebuild. Otherwise order another motor.

I seem to remember a friend needing a new Jet motor and it was almost $200 + frieght!

Thee is a motor rebuilding co. on Rt.9 in Howell NJ

BL,

Get a new motor. I would not trust a rebuilt motor that has failed. A new one should be easy to replace.

I've had my Jet 4 years and work the bejesus out of it. No failures!!!

Maybe yours had hidden problems from the start??

Take the motor off and bring to a Co. that sells electric motors. They should be able to match it up. I can't imagine it is a specific motor for Jet Lathes only.

Bernzy

motor from jet was 140 to get the motor rebuilt was 105 an hour plus parts and we all know nothing thats an hour . a motor from granger that looked like it would fit was 120 so i order one from jet.

I use to use a rebuilder called H&L electric in Deer Park,NY they are no longer there back in the 70's my Dads double bird cage motor blew and the Furnace guy wanted 100+ but being he had 6 kids and empty pockets I pulled it out and they rebuilt it for $15.00. Pop was impressed and relieved and from there I was the negotiator.

Dave Sr.

Not too sound stupid but you are 100% sure its blown?

that is a very good point, most of those induction motors are pretty hardy(which is what most of the midi and mini lathes use),there's not alot to them, the two most common causes of failure are bearings or capacitors...

Most are thermaly protected and will shut down if overheated, but, if that is the case, it should restart after it cools down.....

Make sure the swich is good, those on/off switches are prone to carbon build up and arching....given the amount of times your lathe has been started or stopped, it's worth a quick test...

the motor heated up and keeps tripping the surge suppressor i have power going to the motor .the motor spinns freely so it is not siezed . the burshing or the bearings burned up that was what i smelled

here is the lastest took it all apart . i have 110v going to the switch from the switch i have 110 going to cap and motor . motor spinns but you can stop it from turnning by hand. opened up motor and seems the aremature is bad there is no toque.

rockfish a cap. stores energy it does not act like a thermo overload seems to that this is what the motor needs .so when it heats up it will shut down before damanging the motor. when i get new motor i am going to put a fan blowing on the motor to keep temp down. and your right the switch does suck that is the first thing i replaced right out of the box.