Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
plugchucker

Lami Kayak Series

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

I was checking them out on thier web site.They look like I could put one to good use in the sods and back bays.Anyone here have one or actually played with one in a store yet?Wondering what you guys think.Spring is coming and I can use a new toy.

They look good, saw them at the henry's show in AC. First we looked at them and figured that they took a line of rods and just called them kayak series so that kayakers would buy em up. Turns out that they put a lot of thought into it. Made it a longer rod so that when the fish comes under the front of your boat you can follow it. As usual with lamiglas, not the heaviest rod but has one hell of a backbone. They are good rods.

You should never let a fish get around the front of your kayak. By holding the rod out to the side when fighting a fish the kayak will spin when the fish tries to go across the bow. This technique always keeps the fish on your strong side which is where you want to land him. Long rods make it very dificult to bring the fish to your hand to be landed. I use rods in the yak between 5-5 and 6-6 never longer.

They probably would be nice rods for the rockpiles however.

Just ordered one two days ago. I should have it out soon, and I will give you my impressions of the rod. My usual rod is a 7' fiberglass rod, and at times I use a 6'6" rod. Let's see how the 7'6" works out.

Steve

I agree, the rods look nice. Unlike Barrell, I never use a rod less than 7' on the yak--my kayal rods are 7.5' (a few are 8') with a smaller rear grip (8-10") for easier handling on the water. Thes rods look pretty sweet, but I'm going to wait for some on-the-water reviews before picking some up. I also have my heart.gif set on a few other Lami blanks that I want to build first....like a GSH901MT.....Mmmmm.....nice indeed.

I may be wrong but I think I remember reading somewhere that these rods were based on Lami's triflex series. I think the triflex line are composite rods and made overseas and I believe the foreign made Lamis only come with a 1-year warranty rather than the standard lifetime warranty.

Then again I could be totally wrong. (I usually am) freak.gif

like Joe I prefer an 7 to 8 foot med fast tip

I don't know if Barrel is concerned with fouling his Hobbie drive

but the man knows his stuff and probably is a better fisherman than I am.

I'm sure he is a better kayaker.

since there is a possibility of destroying a fishing rod launching or landing a kayak in the surf I prefer something a little less expensive to get the job done. (see above )

It's probably a fine rod - it's a good name - if $ is not a concern.

For backwater yaking I prefer the shorter fishing rods. I have two that I use on a regular basis and depending on the time of the year will determine which one I take out with me.. I really like using the short Surf & Jetty Lami XS71mS (7') rated for 3/4-2oz. I use this one in the Spring and Late Fall when I am throwing larger Storms and Bombers and I like having a little longer butt handle while fighting larger fish in the kayak..

Alot of times we also land the yak and stalk the sodbanks during these seasons and its a excellent sodbank rod. My other rod is a G.Loomis GL2 6.6" lighter action for throwing the small stuff like in the summer time.

Never fished outfront in one , maybe a longer rod would work well out there. But these Lami Kayak Series sound nice, they mentioned the extra length is good for trolling.. I don't know I/we never really troll in ours...

I like the rating on the LK7615S of 1/4-1oz.. That might (for me) elimate the need to use two different rods during the season...

Never fished outfront in one , maybe a longer rod would work well out there. But these Lami Kayak Series sound nice, they mentioned the extra length is good for trolling.. I don't know I/we never really troll in ours...

I like the rating on the LK7615S of 1/4-1oz.. That might (for me) elimate the need to use two different rods during the season...

You'd be surprised...my largest fish have come on the troll. Actually, it is absolutely RARE that I ever paddle anywhere WITHOUT a line in the water. And I agree, my favorite kayak rods are rated 1/4-3/4oz. Unless I''m bouncing heavier jigs/bucks in current, this covers just about everything.

You'd be surprised...my largest fish have come on the troll. Actually, it is absolutely RARE that I ever paddle anywhere WITHOUT a line in the water. And I agree, my favorite kayak rods are rated 1/4-3/4oz. Unless I''m bouncing heavier jigs/bucks in current, this covers just about everything.

Yea Joe,

We will be trying it out this year I believe, I know some of the guys down around my area have alot of success doing it.. And we have also done very well drifting live eels on the bottom with the current so we will check it out...

You should never let a fish get around the front of your kayak. By holding the rod out to the side when fighting a fish the kayak will spin when the fish tries to go across the bow. This technique always keeps the fish on your strong side which is where you want to land him. Long rods make it very dificult to bring the fish to your hand to be landed. I use rods in the yak between 5-5 and 6-6 never longer.

They probably would be nice rods for the rockpiles however.

Not saying youshould let the fish around the front, I have no idea because I rarely fish off kayaks. Im repeating the spiel that the Lamiglas rep gave me cwm27.gif

Also NIGHTSTRIKES I agree with you on the 7 lami, have the same rod and love it.

Do they only come in the 7'6 model.. or is their an 8' available? I personally won't go under 8' even for my yak rod, mostly because i also do a lot of wading in my kayak spots.... I like having the longer rod when the weather's snotty (which happened a lot to me this past season). Man I miss being out in the kayak.

I agree with the longer rods, best bet for me is a 1-4 oz 9 footer. Lets me around bow and stern, lets me wade cast, toss from the beach, handles most lures I use and just all purpose for me. Scott