Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SallyGrowler

Poll: Putting the band back together...

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

After about a year lay-off from gigging and a few music projects in between, my old bar band is getting back together.

We play classic rock covers, and we play them well. We also play a lot of Led Zep, and play it accurate. We used to do an entire third set of Led Zeppelin by request.

A typical set-list a few years ago: (If you were at Stevie G's in Union Beach a few years ago, you may have heard us play. )

Substitute

Can't Explain

Hymn #43

Cross Eyed Mary

Couldn't Stand the Weather

All Along the Watchtower

Live With Me

Plush

So This is Love?

The Wanton Song

Song Remains the Same

Comfortably Numb

A mere snapshot...

The singer - as good as he is, is having reservations about going back to hard rock, and wants us to focus on Blues.cwm33.gif

In the best interest of diplomacy, I and the other members agree: yes we'll do a little more blues.

Reason:

He claims that people will have a greater appreciation of random blues than Classic Rock staples.

When you hit the pubs, what music would you rather hear:

Blues or Well executed Rock Classics?

Thanks ahead of time for your input...wink.gif

I just want to see ya play. I love blues, but it takes a special band to play nothing but. It can be deadly boring and monotonous or really great.

I think a mix favoring your rock tunes would be awesome, and let me know when you're playing...icon14.gif

Murph and the Magic Tones?headscratch.gif

Yeah - its a bit like the Blues Bros.

I just want to see ya play. I love blues, but it takes a special band to play nothing but. It can be deadly boring and monotonous or really great.

I agree - after playing in a few NYC blues gigs the last two years or so...

It does get monotonous, espescially for the listeners.

If you're asking if you should play the blues, it's gonna suck. Play what you like.

Yep - we want to play what we like, but I don't want to lose the singer, since he insists "more blues".

Classic rock and the Blues go together - play both.

...and we do!

For some strange reason, our singer doesn't think we play enough blues!

Sure - we'll play Red House, Since I've Been Loving You, Lots of Stevie Ray Vaughn, Clapton, Allmans etc... (our Guitar player is the best I've played with, very scary and I would put him up against any guitarist on the local scene... even the not-so-local scene...) for some reason, the singer wants more blues, less Van Halen, less heavy stuff.

Thanks for entertaining this poll - we'll see what happens

I agree with Sudsy, play both.

You know there are a ton of older rock songs that are steeped with the blues. Clapton, Zeplin, Bad Co., Allmans, even the Stones all have some really good blusie songs. Judge from the crowd's response whether you should do more or less blues. As a fan of good live music, it's always fun to see the bands "wing it" rather than coming at you with an anal attitude.

I'd love to hear you guys play that set list, great selections. I think adding a few longer blues tunes and even an instrumental or two would break the routine for the band and the audience. Your vocalist will also sound fresh to the audience after an instrumental or extended blues tune is played. Try the allmans version of Stormy Monday for about 10 minutes. Wish I could be there, good luck

P.S.

Switch out "Live with Me" for "Love in Vain"

on a side note Sally. I get the significants of your board ID, but are you a he or a she? If you are a she, then you can throw in some Janis Joplin as well!

!

Sure - we'll play Red House, Since I've Been Loving You, Lots of Stevie Ray Vaughn, Clapton, Allmans etc... (our Guitar player is the best I've played with, very scary and I would put him up against any guitarist on the local scene... even the not-so-local scene...) for some reason, the singer wants more blues, less Van Halen, less heavy stuff.

What instrument do you play? I'd love to someone tackle "Since I've Been Loving You" or any SRV!

I'm so sick of classic rock... at least the popular stuff you hear all the time. I think your singer is ahead of the curve, bar band blues is the next big thing. Check out some old J Giles Band and Peter Wolf solo stuff if you want to get the juke joint jumpin.