Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
btf

Please read - Audubon opinion of surf fishermen

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

This is my reply that I have posted on other sites about this subject and would suggest others to start getting involved, even if it's only a written letter/email. At least it's something.

Well, I guess I'll never be able to take my kids on the beach anymore. I guess they want to take another resource away for recreational purposes. I am getting sick of hearing their crap. IMO, beach traffic has a minimal impact on the wildlife. You can go ahead and state a select few are breaking the rules, so no more trucks on the beach. YES THERE WILL BE A SELECT FEW WHO BREAK THE LAW OR RULES, BUT SHOULD YOU KNOW LONGER ALLOW IT BECAUSE OF THE SELECT FEW...OF COURSE NOT!!!! GIVE ME A BREAK, TIME FOR ME TO START LOBBYING AGAINST THIS CRAP...IAM SICK OF THEIR CRAP!...AND ON THE BOTTOM IT STATES "WHAT CAN YOU DO"...I KNOW WHAT I CAN DO, LOBBY AGAINST THIS bs.gif .

Good post Bev,,,time to put a stop to their agendas,,,they want to take take and take take more away from us, the citizens!,,,Iam all for preserving the environment, but not taking it away from us,,,BSBSBS!

Looks to me like the "Line has been drawn in the sand." Support those who are protecting your interest and report the ones who violate the rules and priviledge that we have.

As a surfcaster myself, I do enjoy driving up to fish the suds.

I also consider myself a naturalist in the mold of Teddy Roosevelt.

Fish, hunt... do your thing, but we all have to preserve our resources.

That said, I agree that someone at Audubon, a group I generally approve of, has run amuck on this issue.

What I believe is missing is the common ground both fishermen and bird watchers share, appreciation of nature and it's critters.

What I see is a wedge being driven between between two groups of people who do in fact share mutual goals, one of which is wild life preservation.

Look at it this way, when we see the Omega fleet decimating menhaden on the Chesapeak and by extension hurting the striper population we get irritated or just pissed. I think that's how some at Audubon see beach buggys and surf fishermen. It's not necessarily accurate, but it is the perception of some.

I plan to write Audubon and the author of the piece.

But instead of telling them to piss off I will emphasis the common interests shared by naturalists alike. I also think it's important for us, surf casters, to call one another on the stupid crap we see from the less concerned beach crowd. You know, the litter bugs, excessive speed demons, people who kill fish for fun and let them drift in the surf.

Can't we all just get alongcwm12.gif

BTW thanks for bringing this article to our attention

As a surfcaster myself, I do enjoy driving up to fish the suds.

I also consider myself a naturalist in the mold of Teddy Roosevelt.

Fish, hunt... do your thing, but we all have to preserve our resources.

icon14.gif

Unfortunately, they are allowed to have an opinion. Perhaps, they have this opinion from what a few of them have seen. Maybe what we need to do as fishermen is help them see that all is not black or white. Maybe some of the blame is ours as fishermen. I agree with some that their opinion is much to critical, but perhaps we should try to see what they see, from their point of view. There might be common ground to work from instead of throwing stones. I am interested in every point of view, because somewhere in there is the truth, and we must find it.

I hate to say it but i agree with alot of the stuff said by the audobon society i am both a nature lover and a surffisherman with an orv. I think when a newbie buys a orv permit he should have to watch a movie on the rules and regulations. We spend our money and they turn us loose on one of the most sensitive wildlife area in the world. I think with a little education and possibly some team work with each other surffisherman and birdwatchers we can make the beach a much better place for the wildlife,birdwatchers, and the fisherman. How many times have you seen a guy with a 20 minute old orv permit a new 4 wheel drive hemi orv stuck his first time on the beach? or his kids feeding the horses while climbing all over the beach grass on the dunes? I have approached a few of these people and they do not even know they are doing anything wrong. I think the surffisherman in an orv can be an asset to the wildlife, we are usually the first ones on the beach every day, we are the one who call the rangers and report stranded dolphins,birds wrapped in fishing line ect. There is a learning curve with using an orv that could be made alot shorter by the use of a simple video that shows what to look for to keep orvs from running over turtle nest, or what pressure to run in our tires. Most of the veteran orv users do more to help wildlife than to harm it, but AI and Delaware orv beaches are in a very high tourist area where most of the people that drive on the beach are doing it for the first time. Why can't we all just get along and work together to make our beaches a better place for all EDUCATION is the key here after all its hard to save an injured bird or a stranded dolphin if no body knows its there.

There are a lot of "jerks" that drive on the beach in Delaware. And for once I'm going to stop being politically correct and tell you exaclty what type of people these are most often.

Redneck, drunk, low-class, LOCALS. Yes, most of them are from Delaware, The drunk, low-class, redneck drivers from other states can't afford the $130 per year fee for the beach permit.

Make the beach permit $200 per year across the board, institute a fishing license for salt water fishermen....and make it expensive.

I've had to tell my kids to stop playing on the beach because of drivers that were driving way too fast.

And you wonder why articles like the one mentioned at the heading of this thread gain momentum?

OK...now that said....I can go back to being politically correct.

Several good points made in the posts above, especially the comment about the need for more EDUCATION about how to responsibly use the ORV areas. Also, I agree about the ignorant behavior, either local or not. I have been on OBX beaches and have seen several young people drive on the beach with groups of trucks (I assumed locals) only for the purpose of driving fast, doing donuts in the sand and fishtailing and throwing sand everywhere. So, tell me who is more likely to do damage to the beach and endanger birds, etc.! I guess a little joyriding is worth wearing out a transmission. Stupid!

As for the article, it sounds like another misguided shot in the ongoing battle. mad.gif It's the same old thing we encounter in many aspects of the outdoors...a few ignorant bad apples paint a bad picture of the rest of us, so the rest of us (probably in the high 90% range) end up suffering because of it. The other side sees that picture of recklessness and ignorance, regardless of who (or how few people) made it that way, and spins it out of control for their agenda. It's the misguided "ban everything" mentality, among other typical knee-jerk, reactionary ideas. A criminal uses a gun....ban all guns. Someone commits a game violation...ban all hunting. Someone drives in the dunes...it's not the driver, it's the ORV that's bad...ban vehicles from the beach. See a dead bird...ban all vehicles. Ban all people from going everywhere! Throw the baby out with the bath water. You get the picture. This phenomenon is just plain ridiculous, and it needs to get turned around!

As one of the previous posts alludes to, my experience has also been that an overwhelming majority of outdoors people (hunters and fishermen as primary examples) are responsible and respectful users and stewards of the outdoors. So, rather than punish the majority for the poor behavior of the few, punish those that choose to ignore the laws, regs, boundaries, etiquette, etc with more thorough enforcement! Sound like common sense?

It is up to each one of us to police ourselves and our surroundings. If you see something wrong - fish/game violations, reckless beach driving, etc, etc - report it! Make the authorities realize that the huge majority of us ARE responsible users of the beach by pointing out the reckless ones. Otherwise, those do-good observers out there will just keep thinking that most of us are like that and keep pushing relentlessly for their ill-conceived preservationist (as opposed to conservationist) utopia of beach closures and more and more restrictions.

I find it very hard to swallow the false heroics of the person in that article...claiming to be a fisherman and ORV beach user but still calling for the beach closures as he points to some tire tracks and the dead bird. I don't know the man, but it sounds like plain old activism that would impact all of us adversely. So, he'd just as soon ban himself from using his own 4WD on the beach and restrict his own fishing access and that of everyone else, even though he is a law-abiding beach user? It doesn't make sense. If you want to be a do-gooder, then why not just be more vigilant to report and help stop the lawbreakers instead, and work to make the place better for all of us?

Yes, there has to be a balance between ORV use and the environment, but we need to beware of articles like that that use extreme language to motivate the "anti" folks. Make the calls, write the letters, report the violators...get active!

Jay