Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SeTheHook

Busted and Disgusted.

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

First off I'd like to say thanks to the National Park Rangers @ Sandy Hook, New Jersey. Hats off to a good job, whether you like them or not they are there for a reason.

I will try to make this a short read.

While fishing(by boat) at my favorite spot this past fall with a good friend, we decided to anchor up and fish from the beach. We fished till the absolute low and were waiting for the tide to turn. We took a walk to look for some bait. My boat was secured and my friends gear(a cannon lurebag ) was left near the anchor line. We werent gone more than 20 minutes. About 100 yards away in the pitch dark I noticed two figures walking away from my boat, fairly quickly. We called to them and fired up our flashlights. By the time we got to them we noticed two young guys. WE played stupid and asked them if they caught anything. They said earlier and I then asked them why they were leaving so soon. (you see it is a 1 hour walk to the spot were we where by foot). (and I could not understand why someone would walk so far (now to be 2 hours of a walk) for 15 minutes of fishing. After some more small talk I just came out and asked them, if they took anything off my boat( which of course was my only concern) I could care less what they caught, or who you are. They said NO.They showed us there gear and even told us where they were parked. They went there way and we wen tback to the boat, and wouldnt ya know it....

BAMMM a missing lure bag..... We flipped.. my friend called the ranger station and i dashed along the beach following their footprints in the sand---BAMM there it was ...they dropped it when we called to them... Some **** aint it!!! The rangers responded, to the location the two idiots told us were they were parked and apprehended them) A Sea Bright police officer picked us up near the highlands bridge and we identified the two JO's and pressed charges----mostly b/c they lied right to our faces.

ALWAYS GO WITH YOUR FIRST INSTINCT!!! I knew they were up to no good. They were each charged with a count of mis-appro of personal property and another one i cant remember -- BOTH on federal property....

I could describe alot more of the story.... but i havent typed this much since high school!! LOLOL

glad you caught them, I was in philly and someone broke into my friends car and stole my wallet and phone....I wish I saw who did it...

I wonder what they were thinking. I hope they learned a lesson.

Like a thief in the night..........frown.gif

Scumbags, I wonder where the bag was hidden while you were talking to them?

I bet ya they will think twice before stealing again.

they dropped the bag when they heard us calling them, and then continued walking. it was about 50 feet away...and we didnt see it.

I have a question for all of you.

What would you have done if you saw the bag... when this was happening?

A cardinal rule of the outdoors is you don't mess with another man's gear, unless it is something you find that washes up after a storm. Even then, if it can be identified and somehow traced, you should make an attempt to return to original owner. If that fails, the booty is yours.

If I saw those guys drop that gear, I would have had to help you out. People need to ask themselves: "Would I want someone to help me in this situation?" If so, then do the right thing.

I had a similar situation last year at Sandy Hook. Fishing Beach c, got involved in a bluefish blitz, and chased them north for a half hour. When I got back, a pole/reel I had left behind and some tackle were gone. The bastids left me with 2 lead sinkers. Weren't many people on the beach that day, and no one was near the spot when I got back. There are those who say it's my fault for not keeping within eyeball's reach of the gear, but I got carried away with the excitement of the blitz.

I really wish i could have run into them swiping my gear, would have been the last time they considered doing that again. I have been the victim of theft and robberies many times, Each time it diminishes my belief in humanity just a little more. I always thought of Sandy Hook as safe. I am there by myself alone in the dark many a night. But we have a new breed of people now who don't play by the rules. Have to protect yourself, and be on guard. Look at what happened at Robert Moses in NY. That would have never happened 30 years ago. - Dark

A buddy of mine is a Ranger at SH. He works the night shift. He told me about this. He said if I ever see anyone keeping short fish or lurking around the parking lots or anything else out of the ordinary to call the Ranger station and he'll get on it. Just so you guys know, the Rangers at the Hook respond. Most of their solid info comes from the fishermen.

they dropped the bag when they heard us calling them, and then continued walking. it was about 50 feet away...and we didnt see it.

I have a question for all of you.

What would you have done if you saw the bag... when this was happening?

You mean as you were talking to them, asking them about the bag, you see the bag behind their back or something? If you are indirectly asking if you should have opened a 55 gallon drum of whoop a$$ on them, I would not not if they gave it up right away. If they started running or something with the bag, I'd make sure they are not armed (if possible in the dark)before I tackled them. Take your bag, move away and call the Police.

You mean as you were talking to them, asking them about the bag, you see the bag behind their back or something? If you are indirectly asking if you should have opened a 55 gallon drum of whoop a$$ on them, I would not not if they gave it up right away. If they started running or something with the bag, I'd make sure they are not armed (if possible in the dark)before I tackled them. Take your bag, move away and call the Police.

I think he was a good distance away from them when he called out. They probably dropped the bag and kept walking. With his attention on the guys he must have walked past the bag without noticing it.

And tackling people who may be armed is not a good idea. Get close, strike to the carotid artery, bury 'em deep. wink.gif