Knight771

Osama Obama, Coke Head

Rate this topic

72 posts in this topic

Senator Admitted Trying Cocaine in a Memoir Written 11 Years Ago

By Lois Romano

Washington Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, January 3, 2007; A01

Long before the national media spotlight began to shine on every twist and turn of his life's journey, Barack Obama had this to say about himself: "Junkie. Pothead. That's where I'd been headed: the final, fatal role of the young would-be black man. . . . I got high [to] push questions of who I was out of my mind."

The Democratic senator from Illinois and likely presidential candidate offered the confession in a memoir written 11 years ago, not long after he graduated from law school and well before he contemplated life on the national stage. At the time, 20,000 copies were printed and the book seemed destined for the remainders stacks.

Today, Obama, 45, is near the top of polls on potential Democratic presidential contenders, and "Dreams From My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance" has regularly been on the bestseller lists, with 800,000 copies in print. Taken along with his latest bestseller, "The Audacity of Hope: Thoughts on Reclaiming the American Dream," Obama has become a genuine publishing phenomenon.

Obama's revelations were not an issue during his Senate campaign two years ago. But now his open narrative of early, bad choices, including drug use starting in high school and ending in college, as well as his tortured search for racial identity, are sure to receive new scrutiny.

As a potential candidate, Obama has presented himself as a fresh voice offering a politics of hope. Many say he offers something new in American politics: an African American with a less-than-traditional name who has so far demonstrated broad appeal. What remains to be seen is whether the candor he offered in his early memoir will be greeted with a new-style acceptance by voters.

It was not so long ago that such blunt admissions would have led to a candidate's undoing, and there is uneasiness in Democratic circles that "Dreams From My Father" will provide a blueprint for negative attacks.

Two decades ago, Judge Douglas H. Ginsburg of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit was forced to withdraw as a nominee for the Supreme Court after reports surfaced that he had used marijuana while he was a law professor. As a presidential candidate, Bill Clinton thought marijuana use could be enough of a liability in 1992 that he felt compelled to say he had not inhaled. And President Bush has managed to deflect endless gossip about his past by acknowledging that he had an "irresponsible" youth but offering no details.

Through his book, Obama has become the first potential presidential contender to admit trying cocaine.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I don't really care but let's see how our MSM lefties treat this revelation as opposed to the unproven accusation about W's alleged coke use. My bet is the MSM will be all sympathetic as opposed to the lynch mob that hounded Bushie in 2000. I also remember Bubba's brother saying Bubba had a "nose like a vacuum cleaner" and that that came and went in about a day.cwm27.gif

When asked whether he has been faithful to his wife, George W. Bush without hesitation declares he has never cheated. But during the 1994 Texas governor's race, when asked whether he had ever used illegal drugs, he brusquely told a reporter for the Houston Chronicle, "Maybe I did, maybe I didn't. . . . How I behaved as an irresponsible youth is irrelevant to this campaign. . . . What matters is how I behave as an adult." And when asked whether he had ever used cocaine or marijuana by the British paper "Scotland on Sunday," Bush said only "When I was young and irresponsible, I was young and irresponsible." headscratch.gifWhile careful not to admit drug use, Bush has admitted that the "irresponsible" period of his life lasted until his 40th birthday. Bush also advises that parents lie to their own children about their experiences. "The question is, have you learned from your mistakes," he said. "The answer is yes. If I were you, I wouldn't tell your kids that you smoked pot unless you want them to smoke pot. I think it's important for leaders and parents not to send mixed signals. I don't want some kid saying, 'Well, Governor Bush tried it'."

Reaching already ? smile.gif

I said this weekend that it Obama runs, the racists are going to have a field day!

Funny, you don't care but you care enough to post it. Is his first name Osama?

how is bringing up something he did racist? Part of being on thenational stage is having your past reviewed and talked about.

If he did it and has admited to it, then its fair game in my opinion. I want to know what good or bad all candidates have done in their pasts. the people have a right to know and then its up them to decide if it matters. apparently with Bush the electorate decided what he did didnt matter, but poeple have the right to know and make their own decisions.

Interesting. In his current job, did he sign an employee contract where he may have stated that he has never used xxx? Could be grounds for termination. Bye bye Osama.

Osama!!??!!

Cokehead??!!??

Some serious leaps in pretzel logic there.

I am no supporter of Obama, but I hate hyperbole.

I also hate that 3/4 of America is on drugs yet some people pretend that our candidates cannot be in that 75% for even a short period.

Believe me they all get high, some are just more slimy, sneaky, and duplicitous about it.

Me, I would rather have a candidate who is honest with us and human too.

Osama!!??!!

Cokehead??!!??

I also hate that 3/4 of America is on drugs yet some people pretend that our candidates cannot be in that 75% for even a short period.

Believe me they all get high, some are just more slimy, sneaky, and duplicitous about it.

Pretty much exactly what I was going to say. Thanks for saving me some typing. icon14.gif

I dunno about the 75% number being accurate nationwide, but I know that it is about right, if not a little low on the people I know in the 25-50 age group. Limited drug use, even if just once or twice, is certainly the norm, not the exception. It would be ridiculous to try and think only the drug free can hold political office, the pool of elligible would become alot shallower. However, I could be president. wink.gif

PaulS,

You knee jerk liberal, you. Racist???? Too funny. Read the bottom of my post.

As to Osama Obama, first there is a riotous recording made of a speech by Ted Kennedy who kept calling Barak Obama, Osama Obama (and R. Limbaugh made a hilarious parody at TK's expense. Teddy must have been deep in his cups when he made that speech.) and just last week, I believe Time Magazine got the names mixed up on their cover and had to apologize to the Senator.

I guess you never heard any of this listening to AirHead America, (are they still in business?).cwm27.gif

BTW, I personally think that those quick to accuse others of racism really have racism in their own hearts for that is how they project. You're a funny guy PaulS.

Osama!!??!!

Cokehead??!!??

Shipwreck,

Read the end of my first post. Please. Boy, the knees are jerking this morning.cwm27.gif

Osama!!??!!

Cokehead??!!??

Yep exactly. I have a lot more respect for honesty. Don't go telling me you "didn't inhale". Then you are outright insulting my intelligence.

R. Limbaugh

Say no more.

Oh by the way; Rush,,,drug user.

Also when I talk about drugs I include booze, cigarettes, and perscription drugs like prozac, xanex, sleeping pills, and tons of other stuff.

Just like the energy companies want to quash alt. energy ideas, the HUGE drug companies dont care if you get high,,,they just want to be the dealer.

BTW, I personally think that those quick to accuse others of racism really have racism in their own hearts for that is how they project. You're a funny guy PaulS.

You gotta look in the mirror knight if you want to see a racistcwm27.gif

Yep exactly. I have a lot more respect for honesty. Don't go telling me you "didn't inhale". Then you are outright insulting my intelligence.

Mayor Bloomberg was asked once if he ever smoked pot - he said "yes and I liked it". He was never asked again.