Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lichum

Penn 706 Greenie Spinner

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Greetings. What is the appeal of these reels? I read a number of posts seeking them but do not know much about them. How about educating me. I think I may have had one one time around 1976.

The 706 and 706Z, together with the 704 and 704Z are extremely reliable surf reels that do the job and are easy to self-maintain. The 706 type has a manual line pickup which is highly recommended for surf fishing. The 704 type has a full bail but can be easily converted to a manual pickup with an aftermarket kit. Between the two, I prefer the 704 type (with manual pickup conversion), mainly because the line roller on the 706 makes a screechy noise that a lot of people don't like. I also find the handle knob shape on the 704 to be more comfortable.

The 706 and 706Z, together with the 704 and 704Z are extremely reliable surf reels that do the job and are easy to self-maintain. The 706 type has a manual line pickup which is highly recommended for surf fishing. The 704 type has a full bail but can be easily converted to a manual pickup with an aftermarket kit. Between the two, I prefer the 704 type (with manual pickup conversion), mainly because the line roller on the 706 makes a screechy noise that a lot of people don't like. I also find the handle knob shape on the 704 to be more comfortable.

Thanx for the education on the greenie Gad. Happy 07.

The 706 greenie roller is easily twice as screechy as the one on the 706Z--which is loud enough on its own wink.gif

A 704 handle will fit a 706, if you dislike the round coffee grinder handle.

The 706 greenie roller is easily twice as screechy as the one on the 706Z--which is loud enough on its own wink.gif

A 704 handle will fit a 706, if you dislike the round coffee grinder handle.

I've been looking at pictures and yes it was a 706 i had brass/bronze fish emblem and the white round coffee grinder handle.thanx ditch for info.

these are bringing in 200 plus dollars on ebay

Hello Tommy. After getting education from you members and looking at pictures I now know with certitude that I had a 706 metal spool bronze/brass fish medallion greenie. I think it is in my mother's attic in N.C. The reel was fished 3 times. The total time (all 3 times used) it was used is about 6 hours. So what price is fair given that it is almost brand new? If mother has it what should I sell it for?P.S. it had a silver handle that allowed the white knob to rotate with the handle inward for storage.

If its in that good of shape, and you dont neccesarily need the $$, I would hold onto that baby!

I have had the exact same thoughts you have had. No I don't need the money but more than that I read a post about a rumor that Penn is being acquired by Shakespeare. This would make the reel more valuable if Penn expires. On the other hand I am not a collector. Also, and I really am sincere in this, it would be better for a guy who loves the reel to have and enjoy it. As for me, a man of disclosure, I have little experience , but I am going to go conventional. I like Daiwa slx xha (whatever the latest model is). I know what it is to covet a well designed goodie ( I am machinist/designer)> For the guy/gal who wants a mint/pristine 706 who loves it I would find satifaction in knowing they got their coveted special goodie. I like the 706 but am not in love with it.