Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
albacized

Was it right or wrong...

Rate this topic

65 posts in this topic

...for members of Saddam's execution party to taunt him in the moments prior to his execution? I'll side with those who says it was. However, I'll add that it's easy to be an 'arm chair quarterback' in these situations when we don't really know what it's like to be face to face with someone who may have killed many members of your family (I say this not knowing if any of the execution party actually lost members of their family to Saddam's reign). But it was heated and emotional in there and in fact, the entire face of that country is changing based on Saddam's removal from power and then his death. While I stand by what I said in that taunting probably wasn't the most wisest, PC thing to do, I'm not going to lose any sleep over the fact that they did that and I certainly wouldn't start any investigations over the matter. As an aside, it's ironic that one of Saddam's last sentences was 'Do you really think that's manly?' with all the crap he's done/been associated with. Maybe he's in Hell being asked the same question as we speak.

yes, it was wrong, but big deal. I only regret that it all leaked out and can be used in some way as propoganda for the sunnis who kill us each day over there. the ultimate bully got hassled on the gallows, what a shamewink.gif as to the executioners they must be Al Sadr robots of the first order. I'm a bit disapointed that we couldnt get a more professional excecution team.

I just heard on CNN, that Saddam was taken to the same gallows that he used to execute people in. I could care less what they said or did prior to hanging him. The only thing I think they did wrong was honor any of his requests. You do not want a hood? Sorry, too bad put the hood on ..... etc.

I agree it was wrong. For anyone about to be executed, there should be some professionism or dignity afforded to them in the final moments of the process. Even someone such as Saddam.

If taunts must be made, I myself would go for something like making the prisoner feel like he's wasting MY time for his execution. That he's now so unimportant in his position, inconsequential, unworthy of consideration, and will soon be forgotten. That's just me, though.

The only thing i didnt like was how Saddam kept his composure and said "this is what real men do?" If they had managed to really piss him off and make him upset i would have liked it a lot more. It made them look like amateurs and him the cool veteran- not that being a veteran of executions is something to be proud of. I think i would have liked it better if they all acted more professionally and with self control- and i hate to say it, but more like Saddam was acting.

They acted in an acceptable manner for a lynching party.

I thought we were aiming higher.

He should have been tried in the Hague.

Why should he have been tried in Hague? He wasn't a prisoner of war or anything like that. He was tried, convicted and ultimately executed by his own people much like Timothy McVei (sp) was in our country.

Why should he have been tried in Hague? He wasn't a prisoner of war or anything like that. He was tried, convicted and ultimately executed by his own people much like Timothy McVei (sp) was in our country.

Exactly!

How can you be tried in a country where the Government hasn't been created yet? Under what procedures do you run a trial if they haven't been established.

How many defense attorneys need to be killed before a court achieves "Kangaroo" status.

In another thread I was told that he killed hundreds of thousands of people, and he got what he deserved.

Funny, I don't recall him being convicted of doing that.

and the person who made the claim is someone who I believe has advocated turning all of Iraq into a sheet of glass.

In another thread I was told that he killed hundreds of thousands of people, and he got what he deserved.

Funny, I don't recall him being convicted of doing that.

and the person who made the claim is someone who I believe has advocated turning all of Iraq into a sheet of glass.

Saddam wasn't convicted of all those deaths because, by Iraqi law, he was tried by one crime at a time and since he was convicted of that first crime, they decided to carry out his sentence vs continue trying him for the remainder of the cases.

As I said elsewhere, we in America are used to one set of standards. If I'm not mistaken, we bring the accused to trial for all the crimes before his sentences are carried out (especially death sentences-The DC Snipers are an example of this). Evidently in Iraq, once they 'got you' for something, that' good enough for them and I'm not about to argue with that philosophy. It's not like he wasn't convicted of any murders prior to his hanging...

How is there Iraqi "law" before there is an Iraqi Government?

The whole thing seemed like a sham to me. If we weren't prepared to give him a fair trial, we should have just put a bullet in his head when we were pulling him out of his hole.

He was supposed to be the abusive tyrant,

and yet things were handled so badly that he seemed to be the only man of substance in the room he was excecuted in, by a bunch of mask wearing men in Members Only jackets.