Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EBHarvey

1874 Orvis flyreel ?

10 posts in this topic

My grandfather sent me one for X-mas - in great shape, tarnished but not corroded, rivets instead of screws (indicating an early version).

I have no intention of selling it, but was curious as to how much it might be worth, and don't particularly want to shell out $30 for a antique tackle book/price guide. Anyone have any idea what these things tend to go for?

If it's a reissue around 300-400 depending on condition, if it's original last one I saw was 800.00 and I should have bought it, I'll look around as it's been a few years since I have seen an original one for sale.

EB here is a photo, would suggest going to library or book store to research value, also ask maybe a couple of collectors. Seen on one site something in the range of $1500.00 but I am not sure if it is the same reel. Good Luck!

EB here is a photo, would suggest going to library or book store to research value, also ask maybe a couple of collectors. Seen on one site something in the range of $1500.00 but I am not sure if it is the same reel. Good Luck!

Attachment 28375

I think he can get pretty good advice right here, and I believe by posting here he is asking more than a couple of collectors.

Just for future reference there happens to be some pretty heavy duty reel collectors on this sitebiggrin.gif Give them a chance to answer before sending him somewhere else.

Not meant to single you out. Just rubs me the wrong way, when someone asks a question and gets sent offsite for an answer.smile.gif

Not meant to single you out. Just rubs me the wrong way, when someone asks a question and gets sent offsite for an answer.smile.gif

I understand that there are a lot of collectors here that can help him out, but their is no reason he shouldn't research it offsite also. cwm12.gif

I understand that there are a lot of collectors here that can help him out, but their is no reason he shouldn't research it offsite also. cwm12.gif

Absolutely research offsite, nothing wrong with that, but having the first or second post send him elsewhere is just not right, and again I'm not singleing you out, at least you posted a cool reel pic.biggrin.gif

Libraries involve getting off my couch - thats why I asked you cats biggrin.gif

Thanks for the input fellas icon14.gif