justinjunior

off shore sea bass rod for bait and the occasional jig.

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

im a newbie at this stuff so bear wiht me. is a rod in the 30-50 lb class to heavy for them off shore sea bass trips and sum deepwater blackfish?

thanks

Not sure which rod you have in mind, but I like the Calstar 800L trimmed to a size 9 tip. I made one for togging with heavy lead and I also use it offshore for sea bass, bait and jig. I don't really like it as a tog rod (too stiff), but when I need to use 16 or more ounces, then I'll use it.

if your not into custom, the Ugly stik Tiger rods are very good off-shore bass rods. especially when livebait fishin... also the penn Roddy hunter rods.

30-50 seemsheavy to me, i use 15# for all my bass. and 25# FOR WHITE SEA BASS...

what kind of bass are you fishin for?

Just got an Ugly Stick rated for 50 lb line even though I will not be using that range of mono on it. This rod will be used for paty boat fishng and the cod and ling trips. My understanding of the sport is that you need the heavier rods to handle the sinker weight that you use (8-16 oz) and not for the fish itself. I've landed 35# stripers on 17 lb line and a downrigger rod, but th weight of the bait and sinker was only a few ounces.

Pm me after next wed and I'll let you know how it performed. We're going out on the 17th.

It's seabass fishing...

If you are not jigging, anything in the 30 - 80 pound

range will do. Drop it down and wind it in. No finesse needed

here guys. Definitely better to go too heavy than too light

though.

i have a penn 309m loaded with 50lb PP & a 7ft MH uglystik tiger rod (conventional) rated 30lb to 60lb that easily handles up to 16oz of weight. i use it for deep dropping for seabass and other deep water fish in the ocean. i just wish they would have the same size rod for spinning reels. the 7ft m uglystik tiger rod are good up to 6oz so i use these rods for the chesapeake bay!!

View PostI have an Ugly Stck Tiger 7' MH paired with a GTI 320 that does just fine . I use 60 lb braid .

i use the same thing...it works great

GLoomis Muskie 7'7" rod rated 17 - 40 lbs or 25 - 50 lbs.

Those rods become very popular among serious offshore seabass fishermen, especailly for jigging. I prefer the 25-50 lbs rod though many guys like the lighter one.