Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kastmaster27

Important question!

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

confused.gifconfused.gif I was just wondering if this is true. You should use different lures for spring summer fall and winter fishing for striped bass. If this is true suggest what lures I should use for all the seasons. Thanks.confused.gifconfused.gif

kASTMASTER27, The best advice you can get is to match the hatch. Use a lure or plug that most closley resembles the current bait available that you believe your targeted species is feeding on. Large bunkey or herring, Big profile plugs. Small rainfish or spearing, Use a small profile metal such as a Ava-007 or a swedish pimple. Daytime try to match color also. At night, Black or blurple. This is a good rule of thumb, but There are times when the best lure is something unusual like a huge pink swimmer catching bass when nothing else willheadscratch.gif .

Hope this helps

Jim

confused.gifconfused.gif I was just wondering if this is true. You should use different lures for spring summer fall and winter fishing for striped bass. If this is true suggest what lures I should use for all the seasons. Thanks.confused.gifconfused.gif

Its BS. I use pretty much the same tackle from NC to ME. Spring to early winter. There are certain baits that will work no matter what the water temp. Its more adjusting your presentation and your cadence than anything else. I find that Bass Kandy Delights in Purple glitter and Alwife work all season long. Or Bass assasins whichever you prefer. Now I may change sizes(I go as big as the 10" rubba in Cape Cod) and jigheads but they work none the less. Storm Wildeyes as well but not to the extent of the Kandy type plastics in my experience. Plugs like topwater will be dictated by water temp and bait movement. Same with jerkbaits. Other than that you can count on soft plastics all season long if you present them properly.

When I head out anywhere on the east coast you can bet that my rods are rigged in the following manner:

#1 5" Kandy Purple giltter 1/2 ounce white sea strike jighead

#2 5" Kandy alwife 3/4 ounce white sea strike jighead

#3 storm Wildeye 5" Golden Mullet

#4 Producer Mega Ghost solid White (Spook type topwater)

#5 10" Kandy purple glitter

#6 Fly rod 9# Olive/White Clouser fast sinking line

#7 Fly rod 10# Pink/Blue/White/ Sage Broadside bunker fly Intermediate line

Every place I go. No matter what time of year. Never lets me down. I have had maybe 2 skunks in the past 5 years. All due to weather. Granted this is from a boat.

Tight lines, FH

P.S. Presentation, Speed, Cadence, Presentation, Speed, Cadence