Ocracokeobx

Pictures of your Abu

Rate this topic

1,364 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Jim McFeeley said:

hey thanks for the info. il check that out and keep researching/ looking around. 

You're drum fishing so brass sideplates would not come into play as I would assume you bait n wait.

A narrow version reel would be easier to manage on the cast and retrieve, but I use the regular version levelwinds with no issues. I saw a conversion kit on ebay, let me see if I can still locate them. That way you can buy any "Made in Sweden" version that you like and convert it yourself.

I'm glad that I happened upon this forum because I have a simple question that I have not been able to get an answer to: what is the difference between the older Abu 6500 c3ct blue elite and the older Abu 6500 c3ct blue yonder? I have one of the former and I have seen references and photos of the latter, but not my untrained eye they look the same? Is there some major difference in the bears, gearing, cage, etc.?

Any help would be appreciated.

Dave

5 hours ago, quan808 said:

You're drum fishing so brass sideplates would not come into play as I would assume you bait n wait.

A narrow version reel would be easier to manage on the cast and retrieve, but I use the regular version levelwinds with no issues. I saw a conversion kit on ebay, let me see if I can still locate them. That way you can buy any "Made in Sweden" version that you like and convert it yourself.

That's a good idea as i would need to be able to work on the reel myself anyway. I was also thinking about a chrome rocket possibly. I see some prefer them magged but i am not sure if that would be needed or not. 

On 3/22/2018 at 3:19 AM, Dave Peros said:

I'm glad that I happened upon this forum because I have a simple question that I have not been able to get an answer to: what is the difference between the older Abu 6500 c3ct blue elite and the older Abu 6500 c3ct blue yonder? I have one of the former and I have seen references and photos of the latter, but not my untrained eye they look the same? Is there some major difference in the bears, gearing, cage, etc.?

Dave

Internally, they should be the same reel "C3CT", C3 means 3 bearings and CT means non levelwind. My guess is the Blue Elite transitioned to the Blue Yonder?

8 mins ago, novamega said:

1974 abu 6000c with smoothie drag washers, foran reel ct conversion on a 2010 frame,and the drive shaft bearing mod. 

20180403_171405.jpg

20180404_040814.jpg

20180404_181654.jpg

Great reel, I have a 6000c I have a lot of upgrades into. 

On 3/22/2018 at 4:01 AM, Jim McFeeley said:

That's a good idea as i would need to be able to work on the reel myself anyway. I was also thinking about a chrome rocket possibly. I see some prefer them magged but i am not sure if that would be needed or not. 

Jim, just noticed the cutie in your pic. I happen to love spanish mackerel too!

I have 3 6500 Chrome Rockets that I use for slot red fishing. The Chrome Rockets have brass side plates so will be heavier than the standard aluminum plates. I don't need distance while bait fishing so never had the urge to add a mag. Now for spanish mackerel fishing where I throw lures, distance is key so I used the Sportsmag and Mag Elites in the past. 

These are my slow pitch setups. Abu Revo Toro Beast 60. 350 yds of maxcuatro 40# braid. Generally fishing inside of 250’ of water. Listed 24 lbs of drag. I’ve scale tested 20 lbs on a straight pull (no rod influence). 6.1 ratio. Great reel for that purpose. 

On 3/22/2018 at 9:19 AM, Dave Peros said:

Dave

Dave, the only difference is in the name, Abu was challenged in court for the trade Mark or name " elite " and lost...so the same reel became " Blu yonder "