Ocracokeobx

Pictures of your Abu

Rate this topic

1,364 posts in this topic

I know 

Just now, StriperSweeper said:

Here's an Abu 4600AL.  AL stands for A "small arbor" (in other words, larger than standard line capacity in the spool) and L "level wind."

This reel is about 35 years old, sold for around thirty bucks when on sale, normally about forty bucks.  Not sure, this could have been a reel especially made for Bass Pro Shop.

Very little plastic in this reel.  Notice all parts on the brake plate are metal other than a couple of drag washers.  A few years later Abu went to plastic position holders and yokes.   These reels have bushings, not bearings.

All it takes to tear one of these reels down with service and reassembly is a screwdriver and a 10 mm wrench.  So easy a cave man can do it. 

1abu al 4600.jpg

Capture.JPG

2abu al 4600.jpg

3abu al 4600 brk plt.jpg

neanderthal--Geico caveman.jpg

That's in decent shape. They even have a carbon drag kit upgrade for the older reels. 

Does that reel have the standard 3x10x4 bushing, or that oddball size bushing Abu used once upon a time. 

i was a abu man for close to thirty year then i ran acroos old goat whom told me about the akios reels they look like a abu but right out of the box they have beaten all of my abus even the ones i have tricked out.

4 hours ago, convaonly said:

i was a abu man for close to thirty year then i ran acroos old goat whom told me about the akios reels they look like a abu but right out of the box they have beaten all of my abus even the ones i have tricked out.

But....... I have no more room for new stuff! 

Beaten you say:naughty:

14 hours ago, jimmy z said:

I know 

That's in decent shape. They even have a carbon drag kit upgrade for the older reels. 

Does that reel have the standard 3x10x4 bushing, or that oddball size bushing Abu used once upon a time. 

I know 

Yes, it still has the original 3x10x4 bushings held in by snap rings.  I suppose some day I might upgrade to bearings.

bushings.jpg

5 mins ago, StriperSweeper said:

bushings.jpg

Those are the original bushings with the curved sides. If you swap them out for bearings, you will have to get similar shaped bearings. They are still around, but rare. 

I know 

This 5500DA has the 3.17x10x4 size bushings. I replaced them to Boca's ABEC7 orange seal ceramic BBs.

IMG_20171118_174953.jpg

Edited by Cross Current

Just now, jimmy z said:

Those are the original bushings with the curved sides. If you swap them out for bearings, you will have to get similar shaped bearings. They are still around, but rare. 

CIMG4308.JPG

Just now, Cross Current said:

This 5500DA has the 3.17x10x4 size bushings. I replaced them to Boca's ABEC7 orange seal ceramic BBs.

IMG_20171118_174953.jpg

I know and I have to. But I learned from Jerry Foran years ago that the curved side bushing/bearing had a purpose. It has to do with the movement of the axle end in the sideplate bushings/bearings. There is some shift and the round edges accommodate the movement.

16 mins ago, jimmy z said:

I know and I have to. But I learned from Jerry Foran years ago that the curved side bushing/bearing had a purpose. It has to do with the movement of the axle end in the sideplate bushings/bearings. There is some shift and the round edges accommodate the movement.

You're right. This 6500C from 1973 use the curved BBs but I also replaced them with flat side ceramic BBS as well when I had rebuilt it. This set of BBs (and the set of BBS in the 5500DA) smoothens the running and increase the casting distance of the reel very well.

IMG_20171202_215656.jpg

IMG_20171202_215715.jpg

IMG_20171202_215601.jpg

Edited by Cross Current

3 mins ago, jimmy z said:

Like I said before I've swapped 'em out too. But now I have a stash of the curved side bearings, just in case. Nice reel btw!

Thanks. If someone who make some of these curved housings with ceramic (or even with micro balls for BFS usage) balls, I'll swap them in definitely.

3 hours ago, novamega said:

Here's a few pics of my abu garcia 7000 high speed narrows with CT conversions and black 7000c brass plates...  these reels fish so good 

20180321_113555.jpg

20180321_003737.jpg

20180320_225427.jpg

20180321_003725.jpg

20180321_003424.jpg

just recently been looking into getting an abu for one of my drum rods and  i must say those two reels are awsome. What would be a good 7000 to look for? I don't want level wind and rather it not be from China. Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Edited by Jim McFeeley

11 mins ago, Jim McFeeley said:

just recently been looking into getting an abu for one of my drum rods and  i must say those two reels are awsome. What would be a good 7000 to look for? I don't want level wind and rather it not be from China. Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Man ,that's a tough one .. if you're throwing alot I'd stay away from the brass side plates. The brass are x2 heavier.  I'd just look for a  later model ,good used standard c3 and toss a ct conversion on it . The hookless.com one is fat enough that it doesn't flex much and isn't a dumbbell shape, Or buy one of his reels. I waited around forever to find a 2nd narrow spool reel and still paid more than I expected. Now the ones I'm seeing are very used up and going for the same prices as jerrys reels . Better off buying one of the hookless.com reels if your looking for a 7000hsnCt

20180320_213354.jpg

20180320_213331.jpg