Pictures of your Abu

Rate this topic

Ocracokeobx

dannydownunder,

You've done a pretty good job on that reel.... Nice reel too by the way! First I was wondering why would someone use that heavy of a gear for snapper bluefish, but then I saw your profile and got the real picture :) BTW, Did you catch anything on your snapper trip?

Maruthu

Quote:is that the same reel 

Originally Posted by dannydownunder View Post

Boss asked me to set his rod  up for some snapper fishing over the week end.. Hadn't been used for almost 20 years he reckoned, I said bring it in no worries.. As you can see it needed some love, turned out pretty nice so I thought I'd post it on one of my favorite threads... Tom Tom that reel is insane...<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

Maruthu,

Didn't end up going out due to weather will try again this Saturday. The set up will be used for some gummy shark and yellow tail kings too so its a bit of grunt... Thanks for commending the job too, he thought I had bought a new one..It is such a nice reel and to think he was going to throw it out at one stage!! 

• Terryreelz,

​Yep same reel pulled it completely down used plenty of elbow grease, actual grease and some new line. I didn't take enough photos of the process though, kept getting oil and grease on my phone..

Here is the only other one I took.

<br />

Maruthu,

Didn't end up going out due to weather will try again this Saturday. The set up will be used for some gummy shark and yellow tail kings too so its a bit of grunt... Thanks for commending the job too, he thought I had bought a new one..It is such a nice reel and to think he was going to throw it out at one stage!! 

Danny,

I hope you land some big fat fish on that reel.

If I were your boss, after what you have done to that reel, I'd let you keep that reel :)

Maruthu

Thanks Maruthu, that's the plan. I shouldn't have told him it was worth anything and he would have let me keep it, but misleading him is not in my nature( even if he is a pain in the arse ).. 

Hi ccb, I used some regular penetrating lubricant with some muscle power to get it relatively clean after that I used some chrome polish & a coat of reel oil.. Trick was to pull it apart so I could polish everything up independently and not miss any spots then re-grease & re-assemble with a light coat of oil rubbed all over... That's what made the red anodizing shine so much and should prevent it ever looking that way again... The spool was covered in so much corrosion and so was all the chrome and man it took a bit of doing but these abu's must have some bloody good coatings because it looks brand new now...

tomtom , 

these are the parts  [ I think ]  I need ....

[ 1 ]  do you know if they can be fitted to  a C3 and Rocket CS  ?

[ 2 ]  any idea of where I can source them ; or their part numbers ??

many thanks ,...   JK

Mr. Barra: Hello. As shown, Mr. Tom-Tom's beautiful SS gearset will not fit your reels. The main may, but the pinion for sure won't. Your reels are ultracast, TT's is fixed axle. The click spring Abu drawing shows the stock brass gearset like you want. Unless you want to locate an older fixed axle reel, and have the SS gears cut by TT. Cheers, KD.

[ATTACHMENT=10692]Ambassadeur_6500C3_Click_Spring_07_00_-_thx_to_KD.pdf (288k. pdf file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Here is an interesting one. Gearbox side from a high speed ct mag (ran the reel over about 7 years ago) paired with an old level wind. With 30# power pro, good for fluke and snagging bunker.

"Best to keep your mouth shut and have folks think you're a fool, than to open it and prove them all correct"