Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Twitch

Allstar 1209 vs. Rainshadow su1209

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I am now quite curious of the differences between these two blanks. For those of you that have fished with both of these in the canal, I am very interested in your feedback, particularly as it relates to jigging.

Are there advantages of one vs the other?

Which would you prefer and why?

Twitch...

Dad uses the All Star 1209 and I use the Rainshadow. Matched identically with the same Daiwa EMP5500 and the same jigs, I can get farther casting the rainshadow than with his All Star. Not sure why but it just happens that way. I prefer my Rainshadow over his as I can feel the jig bouncing the canal a little better. He likes his All Star, I like my rainshadow...all works out in the end.

Having to choose one, I'd take the Rainshadow as I can get out just a little farther with it than the AS.

My $.02

Isn't rainshadow owned by all star? Or maybe American Tackle is owned by Rainshadow. I remember hearing about some connection like this awhile back, anyone have any more details?

Isn't rainshadow owned by all star? Or maybe American Tackle is owned by Rainshadow. I remember hearing about some connection like this awhile back, anyone have any more details?

Rainshadow is Bill Batson. American Tackle is Joe Meehan. They both post here from time to time. I don't know of any connection but I'll leave it to them to explain if there is. It may be that Cascade Composites made each's respective blanks, or something like that. But that's just a WAG on my part.

The Rainshadow/All Star similarity resulted, from what I've heard, from a rod designer named Don Mook leaving All Star after they were purchased by Shakespeare and joining Rainshadow.

I did a little asking around before I bought.

I've used the All Star but not the Batson, but from what I understand from talking to people that have wrappped both and others that have fished with both is that...

the Batson has a slightly softer tip on it, more like the All Star 1208.

When I picked up my first two All Star 1209 blanks I was told that they would be to stiff to have wrapped as conventional, they would not load. I would be much better off with the All Star 1208 or the Rainshadow 1209 if I was going conventional.

That loading ability may help one get a little more distance on the end of your cast.

Bs....I could just be seeing things too..you KNOW I like to drink cwm13.gifwink.gif

You're right, the tip on the Rainshadow seems a little softer. Probably explains it as you said.

How you feelin? Ready for another gruling year?