Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dan From NJ

TICA, I'm impressed

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I got a libra 3500 for Xmass (SOL store). I am VERY impressed with this reel. I fished it for the first time today. I have a variety of reels, all sorts of penns, a Quantum, couple shimanos. I usually fish a stradic on my St Croix or my lami when fishing the beaches. I originally got the Tica for one of my boat polls. I have more polls than high performing reels. I could not wait for the next boat trip to try this reel out so I put it on my 8'3" Benn Doer St Croix and fished the beach today(about 20 little bass). Its a very good reel for this poll. A little heavier than a comparably specked shimano but its really smooth and definately not too heavy. I am curious about the durability of this reel. Has anyone had one of these for a few season. How do they last? Performance wise straight out of the box these things perform as good as reels tripple the price. Unless this thing self destructs after a few trips its dollar for dallor the best reel on the market.

the only problem ive had with tica reels is the bail snaps shut all the time, it got to the point where i had to got the bail off, and the handle breaking.

Dan I have the same problem with the bail closing and just a word to the wise, there is a small screw holding the bail arm, allways make sure its tight, the hole is just a little to big for that screw according to Tica.

If you take some clear nail polish and paint over thew screw, it will not come out during use and it is easy to remove when you need to do so.

Frank

Dan, I have the Libra 4000 which matches perfectly with either the 9' Tica graphite surf rod or Arra 1084. I fished it hard for two seasons in the surf and on boat (taking bass to 35 lbs.), and it's still going strong. And the reel hasn't been serviced once since I bought it. The only thing I've done with it is rinse it after each saltwater trip and take out the bail trip mechanism because of the aforementioned problem with premature bail closing.

my oldest libra is a 4000. its 3 or 4, cant remember but its still solid and i am fairly abusive. other than the occasional rinsing it hasnt seen any maintenance. it has loostened up a tiny bit from throwing heavy jigs but nothing that i would complain about from a $50 reel and its still fully functional. drag is flawless. ive never had the bail closure issue. i have a newer one that got dunked that i am watching. it got rinsed after the dunk and appears to be fine but ill know more in spring. love me some libra, sure do icon14.gif

If you take some clear nail polish and paint over thew screw, it will not come out during use and it is easy to remove when you ned to do so.

Nail polish will work ok but for a bit more secure screw lockup I would use blue locktite. You can experiment with how much to use and blue locktite allows easy removal . Blue grade locktite is made for parts that will be disassembled.

Nice reels for the $$. I now have 2 or 3 libra 3500-4000s, a taurus 4000 and two taurus 5000s. All have been great so far.

If you do a search you can find a thread with directions on removing the bail closure mechanisms from these reels. You just close the bail manually, which I do anyway to be watchful of my braid.

and the handle breaking.

They replaced the handle on the Libra series a couple years ago - no more spring, it's solid and yah won't break it...ever smile.gif

TimS

Ever is a very loooong time Tim.The solid handle is actually a 2 peice joined with a pin...and that pin is wearing loose on my replacement handle,not that it owes me any thing...it has very high miles

Ever is a very loooong time Tim.The solid handle is actually a 2 peice joined with a pin...and that pin is wearing loose on my replacement handle,not that it owes me any thing...it has very high miles

Rick, the handle is two "solid" pieces smile.gif The old handles were not "solid"...you know what I mean...I just said it wrong wink.gif

Yah might wear out the handle...like anything with moving parts like a pin..but yah won't break it like the old style handle with the spring in it - that was more the point I was trying to make - nothing last forever except herpes and taxes wink.gif

TimS

icon24.gif You mean you....????? How does your wife feel? wink.gif

No, not me...or my wife...it's just a saying redface.gif

TimS