Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
late-start

Surf Bag advice

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Looking to pick up a surf bag and have a gift certificate at Cabella's. Has anyone had experience with the BW Sports Surf Bag they offer?? Or should I look elsewhere, i.e. Aquaskinz etc. ? thanks in advance

I have the medium B&W bag not too bad for the money.One complaint is the strap could be longer,a little better closing on the flap{more velcro}Out of 10 I'd give it 7. I also have an Aquaskinz med.,really no comparrision,but niether is the price.

Decide how much you wish to carry on your neck while fishing. We all usually start out with the biddest damn bag made. It tends to get HEAVY after a while of walking. Then you limit what you carry and end up with something smaller. Pick one and try it. I've had most of the ones out there. BW, Surfcaster, Canyon, Aquaskinz. I presently have a Aquaskinz medium bag, a small bag on the belt with one small pouch on it too. I carry the medium bag. I also have a Canyon 6 tube bag to use also.

Thanks for the replies. I can also find otherways to spend $ at Cabela's. I'll try to find someplace near me that carry the other brands so to give them a 'feel'.

I use the BW Sport med surf bag. I like it. Only complaint when I stuff it with way too many plugs the plug hooks sometime catch the edge trim at the bag opening. Other wise it's a pretty good bag. I use it for flies as well. Pull out the tubes and put large fly boxes in.

Depends on the type of plugs your going to carry. If your gonna carry a bunch of large swimmers you get less numbers in the bag than if your gonna mix and match. No problem with the large needles.

I use a patagonia hawaiian sling for beach/jetty plugging and flyfishing the surf/esturaries. its light, has cmpartments including a waterproof one, water resistant rubber zipper covers, and single strap allows it to ride high on the back and it slings around to the chest for easy access. Does not impact fly or surf casting stroke. Its big enough to be practical, and small enough to be minimalist. Has external straps for a jacket etc. I think they discontinued last summer, but should still be available at patagonia website or factory outlet stores. I use plastic lure cases for my plugs and flies. This thing will hold several large cases, if you feel the need to be a walking tackle shop. Oh, another thing, consider getting a personal floatation vest co2 pull cord if you fish treacherous areas and get d istracted unhooking etc. Sterns makes a nice vest, and there are belt packs on the market. Be Surf Safe in 07!

I got the large bw surf bag.it said it's supposed to come with a belt.but mine did'nt.and I don't know if it's good or bad but the tubes come apart very easy.now I just put the tubes in one by one,and leave space for my reel and water bottle.The flap does'nt close to good either.I think it's pretty good for the money,I don't regret buying it.

+1 on the Aquaskinz. I picked up the large bag, which I beleive is the newer model and its got plenty of room for everything. I'll posr pics later if anyone wants them.

My current set up is a small aquaskinz (3 tube) a small pouch, and then a small B&W (3 tube). I try to stay away from the larger bags as they get heavy, annoy me when I'm releasing fish (i.e. swing around) and also after a dya of plugging - one shoulder hurts more then the other redface.gif

The B&W is not bad for the money at all. Check your local B&T as they may carry both so you can get a feel for them.

Good luck in your decision.

I have several BW bags...because they are inexpensive they are of excellent value for what you get... No complaints w/ mine after several seasons...

I have other various-sized lure bags made by Canyon and Bronco, ...they are well made, but are more expensive...and I also have a small Surfcaster bag that too is well made (and expensive)...it was $45 if I remember right!

I checked out the Ocean Shield surf bag recently at the shop and was impressed. It seemed well made and not really expensive--the 10 tube large bag was $55...the small 3 tube bag was $27...

I don't use Aquaskinz bags...have checked them out at the shop and seem well made, but too $$$...

Check out the Ocean Shield...

Poppy