Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
big country

Donmar pliers problems... GOOD NEWS....

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Guys,

after 4 years of HARD use I was ready to "throw away" (actually use em as backups) my donmar checkpoints.. they have major wear and tear, the cutters are shot, screws holding the cutters are stripped and stuck, springs are shot, a little bit of rust (which is amazing thats its only a little, these things LIVED in salt water), but after one phone call, I found out something I didnt know.. If you send these back to Donmar along with a check for $25 they will COMPLETELY reburbish them and send them back too..supposedly they replace any worn parts, install new cutters, clean and lube and the best part is the turn around time is TWO DAYS...

I really didnt know this about these pliers, I would have sent them back last year, but this year, I carried two pliers just incase..

anyway, I figured I would pass this along...

ITs good to hear good news about gear every once in a while..

BC

Thats what I was looking for. My cutters are messed up. I goog'd Donmar pliers and only came up with places/catalogs that sold them. Do they have a website or a phone number I can call? Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the heads up. I have a set that are just fine. But it's great to know. Let us know what they look like when they get back, if they are as good as new or what. Also what they do with the stripped screws.

Thanks for the heads up. I have a set that are just fine. But it's great to know. Let us know what they look like when they get back, if they are as good as new or what. Also what they do with the stripped screws.

you have to use them to wear them out chief, yours will last a long long time.

I'm thinking about asking for a decent pair of pliers for Christmas. What do you guys do for maintenance. I spray my cheapo pliers with WD-40 or similar at the beginning and end of the season. If they rust up I throw them in the trash and get another $5 pair.

They last varying amounts of time from a month to a season.

Can you walk off the beach and throw yor gear in the trunk without washing these pliers? How does the cutter hold up?

Anybody care to post the address of Donmar for returns? Mine are due for servicing.

I will say that IMHO the cutters DID cut braid when they were new, that ended quickly. They do still cut mono, as heavy as I ever use still to this day very easily. Mine are 4 years old, maybe 50 trips a season, and while they are showing signs of wear they do still work, and they have held up well. I do NOT rinse them as often as I should, certainly not after every trip.....maybe every 4-6 trips. I love the way the jaws grip a hook. I have the 950CP model. My $.02.

Alan

Donmar Enterprises INC,

119 Remsen Rd

PO Box 328

Berneveld, NY 13304

(315) 896-2606

Send checks for $25 to the above address.. Include your address as well.. the only thing they WILL NOT do is Ship to a PO BOX. you have to have an actual address to ship to...

good luck.. Im sending mine tomorrow. I think they may be closed down for a little while around the holidays, but I dont care..

Bc

wow just 25.00 to refurbish,my van staal pliers cost nothing to repair,I had cutter problems and they told me to send them in,and they fixed it for free,but the cutters cost 25.00 apeice,that's 50.00 to replace the cutters.The van staals are worth the money,because it last practicully forever.

Can you walk off the beach and throw yor gear in the trunk without washing these pliers? How does the cutter hold up?

I do exactly that - haven't washed 'em yet in about 5 years. Well, I take that back - I rinsed 'em off at the end of each season wink.gif . They are dunked regularly & I just toss 'em in the back of the truck. I'd say I go thru a pair of cutters every 1.5-2 years or so 'cause I'm cutting braid with them. For just mono, they will last a lot longer.

Incidentally, I bought a pair of the Accurates this year & they seem to show much more pitting/corrosion than the Donnmars do.