Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
redhawknc1

St. Croix ASRS100M2 opinions needed........

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Thinking about buying the St. Croix Avid ASRS100M2, 10' 2 pc....8-20lb line weight....3/4 to 4oz. lure weight. The rod would be used for bait chunking from 2nbait to 4nbait. Any opinions on this rod? I have 2 St. Croix Premier's Surf Rods that I like so far. 1 10'6 conventional and a 8'6 spin. Both of those seem beefy and do the job. I also have a Lami 1084-2 spin also. So my lighter work is handled. I can get this Avid for $140 new. Just haven't seen or cast the Avid's! And never really see any comments on the St. Croix line on the forum.

What size Shimano Stradic would work well with it? I use a Stradic 5000 on the 8' 6" Premier. Would a Stradic 6000 be too heavy? I have a new Penn 650ssm here that I haven't used, could it work? It seems awfully heavy also!

Any opinions appreciated! Wish the rod was a conventional, but they are not on sale!

I own a PSRC100M2

Its a beef stick. Got a newell 220, 65 lb braid, and could probly haul up a cinder block. 3/4oz is a major stretch. 3oz is where the sweet spot begins. Its at home at 4. It sling tins, jigs, needles, and rigged eels. One night I hurled adult bunkers from shore on it.

Its pricy. I got mine through an upgrade deal with st croix. Good service seems to be the word on this website and also my own experience.

Maybe the avid series is that much better and could throw those lipped swimmers with ease...I think I'll stick to training my thumb till I get a job.

I've got an 8' one piece the girls at SurfLand recommended over everything else and I love the thing for Sluggos, light tins and jigs. Fast action and very light. Thats a good price.