Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wrangler

Weighing in plugs

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Since I do allot of different kinds of fishing, and not allot of one particular type, I figured I cheat and mark my plugs with weights so they can be matched to rod/reel combo's quickly. I got surprised though when I started tossing the plugs up on my postal scale. ( Accurate to within 0.1 oz) Some, most notably Atom's but there were others, were considerably lighter than advertized. For instance, a popper advertized at 2.25 oz was only 1.9. Another advertized at 2 oz was only 1.7. ( Rebles, Storm, Yankee and Gaggs were very close.) Anybody else notice this? I'm wondering if this is consistant or if weight varies from batch to batch.

Dave

Dave, I've never weighed a bunch of production type plastic plugs to check for consistency. It seems like a particular run of molded plugs should weigh the same. I do know that on the wood plugs that I make the weight can vary quite a bit due to varying degrees of density in the wood. Mike

I weigh all of my redfins. I drill a hole a quarter inch from the first hole enough to fit a b-b. I then put 2-3 b-bs until the redfin floats at a 45 degree angle. Then i take a plastic paintbrush and wedge it inside until its stuck. Then i crazy glue it in, cut it down, sand it flush and a lil apoxy. It swims great but actually casts a hell of a lot better.

I've done the "filling" trick on a few swimmers including the redfins. I found ( for the most part. They swim best if only 1/2-2/3 full. Casting is NICE. Now , If I could just find a hollow jig head that could be treated the same. ( i.e.weighed 1 oz for teh cast but 1/2 that in the water.)

Spook,

BB's are the way to go. It ads even more rattle to the Redfin. Bunker oil can also be used to fill and if it leaks, it could be good (leaves a scent trail).

------------------

SOL #860

Share what you know

Learn what you don't

GF is right . BBs are the way to go. Adds some extra weight and rattles too.

Bunker oil is OK. But personally once the plug leaks it does nothing but mAKE a mess of your plug and bag.

I know Surfjunkies dad used to use Tranny fluid on some of his plugs, especially the clear ones. He had some unusual colors because of it.