Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jfish

levelwind or not

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

This is my first post and I have the bug to surf fish. A life long spinfisher, I just bought a Lamiglass XS11 MHC rod rated 3 to 8 oz (great price I think). Also considering a true heaver for the the point. What reel is recommended for someone who has never thrown conventional, and will level wind cause more problems then it's worth.

Thanks in advance

jfish

ps This is a great site. I look forward to being an active participant.

Jfish,

go with an abu casting reel for your first. Their the easist to start with and yet are still a good quality reel. As far as the level wind goes..... if your gonna throw 5-6oz or less than you might as well go with the level wind. It will lay the line better than you can manually and will allow you to concentrate on the fish rather than where your line is going during battle. If throwing 6oz or greater than go with no level wind. The reason is because your probably going to need a shock leader attached to your mono running line. The knot between the mono and shock leader can catch in the level wind causing a monumental backlash. Not fun to untangle in the dark!!!

BH

For the average caster, I believe that the distance you lose due to a levelwind mechanism is minimal. I've spoken with abu factory reps who share this same opinion. For you, just starting out, stick with a levelwind. You'll have a better time of it.

Good luck on making the switch to conventional. You'll like it!

Valentine

Welcome, jfish,

I second the Abu 7000C3. thumbuprt.gif

...yeah, it has a levelwind, which is probably a real good idea for a first-time conventional caster. Ya got enough to worry about when yer castin'. Might as well relax on the retrieve. wink.gif

luke

[This message has been edited by Luke (edited 02-18-2002).]

go with the levelwind and when you get the urge, you can get another "mid-section" of the reel without the levelwind ($25-35) and have the ability to use the reel with and without the levelwind. if you ever plug with it, you'll want ot have the levelwind, and when you bottom fish, you can use the other mid-section and get a little more distance.