Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shag

Bumper Sticker for Labs

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

While driving down the Eastern Shore on 13 last spring, a couple of guys pass me doin 80 with that deranged look like the fish were blitzing nearby. As they passed me, my wife begins to call them a few things under her breath(I hate when she does that to me) and then begins to crack-up. Their bumper sticker said "Labs are people too". All that anger just kind of left her. Anyone know where I can get a sticker like that?

hobie1.jpg

Thats Hobie checking for bait in the wash.

Thanks,

Shag

Shaq

Nice dog,er-nice person,er-NICE LAB!!!smile.gif

Thinking of getting a LAB,i want black,girlfriend wants brown.Don't know which one yet.

Anyway any comments,criticisms of the breed.I have read a bunch of books on them but always find it better to speak to people who own them.

By the way, hope you don't put mustard on Hobie. i think it would make a mess.smile.gif

Wishin,

This is our second Lab, and I(we) will always have that breed. My first dog/person was a yellow named "Schooner". At 121/2 she left this place for the Great Salt Marsh, Hobie just turned 12 last month. I don't think the color matters, but it is important to get them from a well established breeder who knows what they are doing. Labs seem to be more popular than SUV's these days. Like SUV's today they are rarely used for what they are bred for. They need to be out and exercized, they are real social so they need people. I really don't care for the chocolate, I've rarely seen one with the field qualities that I have in the blacks and yellows. Since we spend alot of time at the beach the next one will be a yellow again, I think they stay a little cooler in the sun.

Hobie likes her dogs(plain)no mustard.

Hope this helps,

Shag

Don't agree with ya one iota Shag. My Chocolate would have run rings around the Blacks I had growing up. Then again I can't say I've ever seen another dog as good as the Choc. I have now. He's an old 11 as he snapped his ACL a couple years ago and it had to be replaced with a nylon one. Because of it I don't run him on the beach anymore, nor does he work a field with me for birds anymore, but he's still as good as they get!

Mike,

Like I said, "from what I've seen". Didn't mean to offend ya, but because of the popularity of the color the puppy mills have been pushing them out like sinkers from a mold. My understanding is that the Chocolate is genetically a different dog. Black is dominant color, yellow is the recessive. These have been around for hundreds of years. The chocolate I believe is a much newer breed. Since its ancestry is newer, the gene pool is smaller and the chances for defective traits increases. Since it is the color that is the trait being bred for and not other physical or behavioral traits, there is an increase in the chance that those defective traits will be present. That was the explanation given to me at the field trials out in Manorville several years ago. Again, Mike it has been my experience that many of the Chocolates I have seen have a more hound like appearance ( less barrel chest, pointy snout, and houndlike ears). Man do I hear myself sounding like one of those snobs from Easthampton. In reality for me color matters little. Disposition, hips and a sparkle in the eye, and a good look at the parents will tell ya what ya need to know.(Geesch that sounds like it would work for a wife too). All a good dog needs is a loving home and it sounds like Coco has one.

Shag

No real offense taken Shagwink.gif The Chocolate color has also been around for a very long time, but for whatever reason it was not very popular until the last decade or so. Chester has the prototypical lab snout and barrel chest, but he has pseudo wavy fur on the top of his back and is often mistook as a Chessie (also another awsome breed!) Funny story about one of the most well behaved labs I've ever seen, also a Chocolate:

I had this guy doing some work on my house, and my dog has run of the place as he stays in the yard and won't go in the street under any circumstances, anyway this guy askes me if he can bring his lab to the job and I say okay. I get home from work the next day and my dog and his are in the pool having a blast, now my dog in his prime weighed 85 pounds, not huge, but a nice average. Well this guys lab goes 125 lbs and is all muscle. I toss the ball for them for a while and offer the guy a beer, we're standing there comparing dog stories and tricks, etc., and he calls his over and tells him to sit up straight. The guy then starts using the top of the lab's head as a rest for his beer. This dog didn't so much as twitch a muscle when the can was on his head, then when he finished it he told the dog 'yellow can' (that's where we put our recyclables) and the dog prances over and drops the beer can in the correct barrel. That's where the comparisons stopped as my dog didn't hold a candle to that trick! The guy told me that the dog knew yellow and blue, as those are the colors of most of the recycle barrels around here.

Guys, SHAQ <MICHAEL P how big is your property? is it fenced in? Do you leave your dogs out all day? Are they diggers if you do leave them out?

My yard is About 30 by 50 but a lot of it is a vegtable garden so these are things I want to know. I currently have a post and rail fence up but would add chicken wire to make it more secure.

We're scheduled for a yellow lab from a litter this summer. We are installing a six foot cedar fence. That outta keep 'im in!

3/4 acre, no fence except for the 4' around the built in pool. The dog knows he is allowed in our yard and the neighbors yard to our right. Like I said, he won't go in the street, ever! If his ball rolls off the curb so much as 6" he'll lay on the grass and whimper all the while staring at the ball. he has all the neighborhood floks wrapped around his aw so to speak. They know he won't go in the streeet, so when he sees them coming on their walks around the block he puposely tosses his ball in the street in front of themsmile.gif

We basically live in "Labrador Heaven" the front of the house opens into a private drive that borders a damed creek forming 2 ponds that hold some nice largemouths,carp and sunnies. The backyard opens to a salt marsh. Yes, we are very blessed with this home. Flights of waterfowl,nesting geese, great blue and night herons are or neighbors. We love where we live and so does our dog. The following is the view in the summer off the back deck.

C'mon Spring

Shag

SM.gif

Hobies Playground.

[This message has been edited by Shag (edited 03-04-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Shag (edited 03-04-2001).]

Hey Wishin,

The one problem with the place is that the house is very small built around 1870, one bathroom, very small rooms, any visitors have to share Hobie's bed.biggrin.gif "Sorry No Room at the Inn"

That marsh area in the foreground is underwater right now.Some storm huh? I just hope the beaches hold together.

Shagwink.gif