Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Plug

How are your good places

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

My good places stink.

Charlie M came and fished with me last week.

Because of people we fished good places instead of best places. It was not good. One spot really baffled us. A large cove formed by rip rap on one side, a steel bulkhead on the other and a sandy beach at its base. Shallows extending out 15-20 yards before falling on an extremely steep grade into 50' of water. The ebbing tide forming a beautiful rip along the ledge and pushing a swift current straight into the bulkhead setting up all kinds of back eddies and side currents. Spearing so thick in the shallows you could scoop them up in your hands as they passed in never ending schools so dense at times you could not see the bottom in 16" of water. The 15kt. SW blowing straight into the cove.

We fished it for close to an hour from dead dark through false dawn. Not a bass. Not a strike for me. Charlie had one strike which yielded a shad. rolleyes.gif

A good spot, A spot under the conditions that screamed FISH. A spot where on an ebb tide I can always find fish when conditions run me off the jetties. No fish under ideal conditions at the best time of year.

I hope its an anamoly or the fish aren't in good yet or something other than the obvious.

Chicken Little asking how are your good spots? Not your best spots. They'll have fish until there are no fish. But how are your good spots?

My good spots have been just that, good. At least compared to the past few years, they have produced a little better each year, and this one is no exception. Very hard to comprehend the naysayers, very good year so far. I have had a few nights in the SJ back bays like you described, spearing incredibly thick, but few takers. I have to assume the bass are there, just really tuned into the spearing. Or chock full to the point of no interest.

I expect the next few days to be excellent.

I havent fished my best spots yet, havent needed too, the good spots(inside) are consistent so far and this week ill play around a lot more on the outside to see how those spots are, last year the may full moon was very good to me from the beach and i am anticipating at least a similar showing this year as well...

are we talking about spots that are great cause they always hold a lot of fish or are great cause you never see anybody fishin em?? some spots i just love cause i can be alone, even if it means i gotta walk a mile or 2, some spots get hit hard but i like the "wrong" tides so usually i have them to myself as well(or people i know wink.gif ...is a great spot just dependent on the amount/size of available fish?? In NJ for me it's not, in OPF area it is biggrin.gif

Its early in my season (I fish East End LI, which warms up later than many spots other posters fish), but so far my good spots have been as good or better than prior seasons.

They have also shown bass earlier than prior seasons, and the bass have been willing to hit on the flats earlier than other seasons.

I attribute all of this to the whacky weather we have had this year - although the spring rains slowed things down, things are still generally warmer now along the north east coast than is usual for this time of the year.

I am hoping my early luck does not get negated by later impacts of the whacky weather. But so far, my good spots have been good.

My one little hotspot on the inshore has tons of fish in it - only thing is they're turned on to herring right now and I'm not a liveliner type icon15.gif

Had a few fish on plastics, but its not what it should be at this point in the season!

The Best spots, Bait all over the place good structure no googans = a waste of time confused.gif

The good spots, Great structure good conditions are at best a pick cwm33.gif

The Why in hell am I fishing here spots have been downright excellent. icon25.gif

Don't ask me why, all I can figure is that our striped friends have decided to drive us totally crazy, not that it would take much to do that anyway!

------------------

8ball.gif

The past week or so my Hot Spots have chilled!!....Hoping to see some improvement soon .....I usually read fish on the fishfinder ,but not seeing them or catching them.I have some possible theories.maybe thet left the Bay and went North..Maybe they are up in the warmer waters of the flats ....maybe they are up breeding........maybe the waters too cold.......LOL I sound like an "Excuse " Coffee Fishing Mug some one once gave me........smile.gif anyway , I am waiting for these hot spots to warm up once again

My good spots have been invaded with little fish!

My best spots have been invaded with little fish, but at least an occasional lunker makes a showing.

But the bay in the summertime is a little fish place, for the most part, unless you know where to look. wink.gif

TH

Plug, this season on the flats was beyond frustrating. My good and best spots only produced limited number of fish and some VERY frustrating skunks. When others were doing extremely well in the same waters.

I Migrate with the Bass,

Find structere and work a full tide.

At the point Ya get Bass.

Remember it. then book and look for new water and take mental notes...

If Ya get fish there cool....

If not go to Your go to spot.....

so I drone 300 Miles in 2 days fishing the Cape only.........

But Ya know what I scored big Bass........

Do Ya home work, It pays off.........

My good places this time of year are way off. In fact, they haven't been right since 1999. I am trying again tomorrow night...hopefully the tides will turn (pun intended).smile.gif

------------------

DC ><}}}}> bigfish_bite_md_clr.gif

Berkeley Striper Club...Seaside, NJ