Backyard Skating Rink

Rate this topic

The Fishing Pole

My friend had one when we were kids. His dad took some 2x4's and staked them into the ground on edge making a big rectangle. Then he took a big piece of plastic and layed it in the bottom. There were no seams in the plastic and I believe the size of the plastic dictated the size of the rink.

Then he waited for a cold night and he filled it with water. He did this every year until they moved away.

You're getting sleepy. ....very sleepy.....

I made a rink and used it for 2 seasons, too much work though, I wont be doing it again. I had what seemed to be an ideal spot, a playground area about 25 x 45' bordered w/ railroad timbers and filled w/ peastone. All I needed was to level the peastones and lay a big tarp over the area. We did have a lot of fun w/ it the first season, I had floodlights in the trees, firepit, music, etc. That was a very cold season & it worked out fine. However, even though the temp was below freezing, the surface seemed to get soft and wet in the daytime, and the ice would melt all around the edges where the timbers defined the edge. the area was in full son and that of course was part of the problem, may also have had something to do w/ the peastones underneath rather than solid ground. at night it would be ideal though. the next season just wasnt brutally cold and the ice was needing constant attention w/ the hose, or there would be a moat of water around the entire border.

too much work for me. however if you could predict a brutally cold season and had a shady location, then go for it. you'll find some good sites on the web. do google image searches on backyard rinks and find the sites that are not commerical.

When you build your rink don't put stone underneath or leave the lumber frame exposed.

Stone, the lumber frame, and any colored plastic liner will absorb solar radiation and cause melting. The freeze thaw cycles will induce cracking of the ice.

Build your rink on a shaded grass area if possible and use clear or white plastic for the liner. Wrap and staple the liner over the lumber frame and you will prevent 90% of this problem.

You can also get the rink to freeze faster if you half fill it and allow to freeze. Then add more water when its ready.

You're getting sleepy. ....very sleepy.....

My father used to build us one when my brother and I were kids. Same deal 2x4's and the white sheat of plastic. When it freezes use hot water on top to melt the ice to a smoother finish when you are done skating. I just watched a video of us using it almost 18 years ago. Great stuff.

Stuck in a Seam.

one winter my old man forgot to shut off the water...the pipes bursted and flooded the front yard. it was a little bumpy, but i had a lot of fun skating before the bus would come to the house.

When we judge or criticize another person, it says nothing about that person;
it merely says something about our own need to be critical.
-Author Unknown-

• 1 month later...

The rink has ice...........finally. Hallelujah

And wouldn't you know I have two small leaks. I dove my hands under with a few strips of duct tape and a couple small rocks and all is well for now.

Should be ready by the end of the week. I'll have to throw one of the kids out there to test it out.

TFP

That's cool!!! Too bad it's been so warm. Let's see a pick when it gets frozen.

Did you have to level at all or is your yard very flat? I have room in a side yard but the drop from on end to the other is probably between 18" and I can't imagine putting that much water in.

--Rich
"Miss Abigail"
1989 Mako 211 (& my daughter )