Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tommat

Best inexpensive surf rod?

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

I picked up a Sea Striker (Morehead City NC) one piece 7 1/2' surf rod for $44 in the OBX. Black rod with silver diamond wraps. Couldn't resist it at that low price. They had 9 footers but not sure of the price.

Strong rod and casts well.

Just wanted something smaller than my 9' St Croix.

Fenwick Saltstick - my favorite affordable production rod. Retails for around $105-$115 depending on length.

Works well with braids and its got some back bone to toss lures up to 3.5 oz. Ignore the 1-5 rating! wink.gif

Tsunami felt good and were less $, but never casted one.

Pay attention to the reel seat - some rods have real junky ones and can split/crack if you over tighten them and get oil/grease on them. frown.gif

If you want to spend $155 - check out the St Croix Premier surf line. smile.gif Sweet production rod IMHO. The Avid series is even lighter & nicer but that pushes $200 and over. At that price point you are into the Surf & Jetty line of Lamiglas. smile.gif

For fifty five bucks you can't beat the Daiwa Sealine-X. For a hundred, the Lamiglas surf King is Probably the best value in it's price range. The blank and quality of construction is better than the Tsunami or Tica rods, although they are also thirty to forty bucks cheaper.

I fish a Sealine-X 9' for light plugs and tins- up to about two ounces max, and think its great for the money. Much more than 2 ounces doesn't feel right to me, though. I've heard nothing but good things about the TiCa and Tsunami mentioned above but have nor actual experience. And I've been eyeing that Fenwick that Ray mentioned.. for a while now! wink.gif

This one should produce gales of laughter, but Ugly Sticks are cheap and well made. They also have a very moderate action that is well suited for using braids, which weren't around when most of the guys on this board formed their opinions about uglies.

So what if you look like a newbie, there are certain advantages to that. The greatest Striper catching tool is knowlege, and if the guy next to you can't get a clear bead on your knowlege, you stand a better chance of not being bothered by him.

Also good rods are the Penn Slammer series.