Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
davefshman

st. croix problems

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Does anybody know how st. croix is with customer service? I have a 3 year old ben doerr elite thats past its warrenty and the reel seat has moved up about 2 inches and has become loose. The only other way to fix it i think would be to strip the rod but i really dont feel like spending that kind of money, anybody else have this problem?

I really don't know about St. Croix service but you can fix it by smearing epoxy on the exposed blank, force it up inside too if you can, and slide it back down. Be sure the reel mount is lined up with the guides. I fixed a rod as described many years ago and it still holds. You probably could get better information on the rod building forum concerning a fix.

Good Luck,

John

Which rod is it? michealP told me about his 9'4" pluging stick, because it's over 9 feet it would cost more than it's worth to ship it back for repair. They only have a 2 year warantee?? I hope that never happens to mine

Had the same problem with 10' 2pc. Ben Doerr a few years ago . St . Croix repaired it no charge. i paid for shipping both ways. they will bill you 10 or 15 bucks for return shipping.

oh yeah the rod was about 4 years old

Dave : Get a rod tube from your local tackle shop ( they should have some laying around from rod orders that they have recieved ) . Call St. Croix at 1 800 826-7042 and ask for costomer service . They will tell you exactly what to do. You can also go on line . For more info. Send it back and get it fixed . If it is not repairable then there will most likely be a replacement charge , being they don't make that rod anymore. It would now be the AVID SURF SERIES . Hope this helps , if you need any more info from me , just let me know smile.gif "SWISS"

Does anybody know how st. croix is with customer service? I have a 3 year old ben doerr elite thats past its warrenty and the reel seat has moved up about 2 inches and has become loose. The only other way to fix it i think would be to strip the rod but i really dont feel like spending that kind of money, anybody else have this problem?

Hey I kill those rods to..

this is what I did.

I pulled tghe cork tape back and dumped slow set super glue in both ends of the seat.

Im still trying to snap that rod.

its a sole survivor

hey bm, i remember you saying that when we went out a few weeks ago. Remember mine, it only got worse and 2 of my guides are cracked. Lost a olive habs because i didnt check them before i left crying.gif

Dave...I sent back an 8 1/2' Ben Doer that was out of warranty just recently and they offered to replace it with the comprable(sp?) Avid series rod at a discount. They knocked off about 60 bucks of the retail price of the rod and it ended up costing me 'bout 95 bucks with shipping. The turn-around was very quick (2 - 2 1/2 weeks). Hope it helps.

hey bm, i remember you saying that when we went out a few weeks ago. Remember mine, it only got worse and 2 of my guides are cracked. Lost a olive habs because i didnt check them before i left crying.gif

that Hurtsfrown.gif

try what I did. On that model Your not spossed to over tighten the reel I can crank on mine now.

Its a good rod as You know.

A taurrus fits it nice for balance to.

I re did My 1204 and Im breaking it in on Fishbiggrin.gif

a libra is in the back up reel spot in the sand sled.

Forget sending it back.

St. Croix will "fix" it with the same garbage graphite reel seat that was on mine I am assuming.

I have nothing but good things to say about their customer service BUT that design on the Elite is garbage.

I sent mine back twice, they "fixed" it twice and it broke again. Spins around and around....

I had enough, spent $25 at Betty N Nicks and had them put a Fuji reel seat on it.

Problem solved.

I was gonna try that bm until i was told that if i call St. Croix theyll take care of everything free of charge. I just called them and they said if the reel seat is the problem then its under a lifetime warrenty.

Toad ya really dont think its worth sending it in? I was told that if i get the reel seat redone theyll probally strip the rod, and i do not have the money for that. I just wanna get the rod fixed soon so I can use it for eeling.