Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve in Mass

Old Penn Conventional Question

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I am a total rookie when it comes to conventional's, so.....

I was at a yard sale and picked up this reel for, um, very short change, and wondering if it is a find.

It is a Penn Peer, No. 209 level wind. It is in excellent shape, but from the little bit of line left on it, I'll bet it's at least 25-30 years old....(very old braid that I remember my grandfather using back in the 70's)

Anyone have any input?

Thanks.

ahhhh great old reel,tossed alot o lead on one myself.best thing ya can do is check out the line on it.if its old n snaps easy in yer hands gun it.load up some nice 15-20lbs big game line.next thing is get some stp oil treatment,yup that thick honey stuff.now clean out the shell bushings for the spool shafts and load em with the stp.what this stuff does is melt in an instant and cool off as the spool slows down gettin ya some control over the beast.if i was you i would get me an aluminum spool and some mags and load it up then fine tune it with the mags and use a decent 3-1 oil if ya go that route or 20-50 weight.the stp tho,20 lb line and your on yer road to fishdom,nice chunkin or tin or metal reel..

Gramps....thanx....there is only maybe an 1/8 of the spool still loaded with line so it's getting tossed, anyhow....

The old gent I bought it from used to use it for trout fishing (or so he said)......seems way over kill to me for that....but then, I know next to nothing about trout fishing, either....

I did check a few sites, and the closest I could find was a boat trolling reel....a Penn Peerless no. 209......looked pretty close, fits the #'s, but the picture of it wasn't too good.....

This reel looks to me as if it could pull a 60 lb'er.....easy..........smile.gif

Good find, lots of deep water lake trout guys use them for leadcore line. The reel itself is overkill for trout, but what would seem like a reasonable reel for trout would only hold about 20' of leadcore, so lots of folks use the levelwind penns. Only lake trout I ever caught, about 1.5lbs frown.gif , was on that same reel.

Angryeel