Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chicky

lets talk lips

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

kiss.gif no not those

the metal and plastic ones that help us catch feeesh

its my understanding that the steeper the lip angle, the deeper it will dive. lets say a rapala metal lip in the trianle cut on a 6" lure, is that for trolling? flat lips that are horizontal, how and when do u work them? i picked up 2 megabait swimmers this weekend, one lip is small like on bombers, the other wider and longer. if the angle of the lip is the same could i cut the lip back so it doesnt dive as deep? i've also seen on the lure forum some guys use lips that are almost flat on the face of the plug, what gives?

i need the lip low down

thanks

tongue.gif

chicky... in basic terms, from the nose of the plug, everything is backwards. wink.gif

Up means down; down means up... short means shallow; long means deep.

Chicky,

Also, the longer the lip, the deeper the plug dives. So, it can be say 15 degrees but if short, it won't dive as deep as a longer lip of the same bend. And of course, if you crank it fast, it goes deeper yet. wink.gif

Spigola

Chicky,

All the metal lips I've used are surface plugs. They are made to wiggle in a sexy fashion on top. Can't recall anyone ever bending a metal lip lip. Anyone ever do that???

Spigola

I have some Rapala Magnums that are several years old. They are sooo nice. They have the extra long lip for deep diving. I thought about it but they looked too nice and I didnt want to adulter them.

I have some Rapala Magnums that are several years old. They are sooo nice. They have the extra long lip for deep diving. I thought about it but they looked too nice and I didnt want to adulter them.

ive got soem real nice 3" and 6" magnum, very pretty but not sure what to use them for since the lips are steep and big

Chicky,

I've modified plugs to swim on top by shortening the lip. These were done on Storm Shallow Macs. You can also heat up a Bomber lip and push it downward to keep it on top. Most plugs with plastic lips can be modified this way. I know a guy who finds deep diving plugs on the beach and he modifies them to swim shallow water by cutting off the excess lip, heating and bending the rest downward. He would also use a screw eye to relocate the front eye if necessary. Works for him and I've seen him catch fish on them to boot!

Chicky,

I've modified plugs to swim on top by shortening the lip. These were done on Storm Shallow Macs. You can also heat up a Bomber lip and push it downward to keep it on top. Most plugs with plastic lips can be modified this way. I know a guy who finds deep diving plugs on the beach and he modifies them to swim shallow water by cutting off the excess lip, heating and bending the rest downward. He would also use a screw eye to relocate the front eye if necessary. Works for him and I've seen him catch fish on them to boot!

very interesting, thanks for sharing

On most metal lip plugs, its also important to bend the eye loop up or down to get the plug to swim right... and agian, its backwards... pull it down, plug goes up, pull it up, the plug goes down. I've found it more effective to tune plugs this way than to mess with the lips.

NEVER bend the lip on a good metal lip swimmer!Bend the eye of the plug up to swim deeper, down to swim shallower...the EYE, not the LIP!

biggrin.gif

I can't take credit for it but you can bend Red Fin (not the foil finish ones) or Javelin swimmers with a soldering iron. Let the iron heat up real good and place it within close proximity to the lip. When you get the lip heated up real good, push it against a countertop so that the lip stays straight. Do this until the lip is almost perpendicular to the lure. Now it will swim even higher.