License plate mounted bumper rod rack

Darth Baiter

Chris,

I'm in the process of making one right now and have a question about how you painted the PVC and what paint did you use? Did you just use auto primer? Could you explain how and what you painted the PVC with?

Thanks, John

It's just a flat black spray paint.

I don't remember the brand.

Chris

I'm on a bridge to a better day...

View PostChris,

I'm in the process of making one right now and have a question about how you painted the PVC and what paint did you use? Did you just use auto primer? Could you explain how and what you painted the PVC with?

Thanks, John

It's just a flat black spray paint.

I don't remember the brand.

Chris

Thanks!!!

View PostCan you send me Jerry's contact info?

Thank you

Jake

I got the information for you but you're not set up for PM's (private messages or e-mails) update your contact preferences so I can send the info. that you need.

I think is againts the rules to post commercial info in the forums (that's why I don't post Jerry's info)

thanks

• 2 months later...

OK.. The rack is almost finished. Here are some photos. I just need to polish it up, drill some holes to attach the two pieces and mount. As far as rubber for the top goes, does anyone have a photo of one using radiator hose? Does it fit snug on the 2" pipe or would I need to hose clamp it? Thanks!

Former LIBBA #1818

I replaced the stock reel grabbers on my Reels on Wheels commercial rack with rad. hose which allowed me to get some bigger butt caps into the rack. I hose clamped mine, but I guess glue or something (under wrap friction tape, etc.) would hold the hose in place without using a clamp. Still may move over time with a heavy rod sitting on it.

Depending on butt cap to reel stem distance and how high, or low, your rack mounts you can use longer sections of rad. hose to achieve more ground clearance for those rods with 30" butts below the stem. Call it rack extensions, clamped they can slide up and down as needed. I put a front hitch on an 08 Sequoia and it sits low - good for long rods and tree branches/low wires but bad for ground clearance for 12' bait & wait rods. Clamping a longer section of rad. hose to the rack improved ground clearance.

"Endeavor to persevere" Lone Watie

• 14 years later...

thought I'd bring this one back from the dead as I'm looking for something similar. no longer available at The Surfcaster. anyone have any clue where to get these things or similar?

(*member formerly known as 'Always_NoFo')

4 mins ago, Halieus said:

thought I'd bring this one back from the dead as I'm looking for something similar. no longer available at The Surfcaster. anyone have any clue where to get these things or similar?

Wow, thank you for doing this!! I also wanted to buy from the Surfcaster and need an option .. I’m not as handy as some other folks here

i have a BMW e36 I’d love to get 2 rod holders on the front for.

B'Nuggets with the Asian.

(*member formerly known as 'imdannoir')

3 hours ago, Dan K said:

Wow, thank you for doing this!! I also wanted to buy from the Surfcaster and need an option .. I’m not as handy as some other folks here

i have a BMW e36 I’d love to get 2 rod holders on the front for.

good luck to us both. I had seen a really nice one on someone's truck a couple years ago. powder coated and it had a holder for the license plate and was angled back towards the grill. never found the guy so couldn't ask.

(*member formerly known as 'Always_NoFo')

13 mins ago, Halieus said:

good luck to us both. I had seen a really nice one on someone's truck a couple years ago. powder coated and it had a holder for the license plate and was angled back towards the grill. never found the guy so couldn't ask.

This inspired me to just do it today . 

my results . I am worried about the sturdiness of the bumper, but not the holders themselves 

4632B4CC-0584-4764-86E8-F91D9D30CD06.jpeg

AE927E30-5306-4AB5-8F6E-8B2E9DFBED64.jpeg

4C3C887C-D893-401A-B7F8-83723BB79003.jpeg

B'Nuggets with the Asian.

(*member formerly known as 'imdannoir')