License plate mounted bumper rod rack

Darth Baiter

Anybody ever hang one of these on the front of an Expedition or have any opinion or experience:

For those cars with a fairly solid front bumber license plate attachment... this is the easiest way to mount a front bumper rod rack. Just remove the license plate and mount the new bracket in its place. Put the license plate on the outside and bolt through. All hardware included. The bracket can be left on while the rod bumper racks can be easily removed when not fishing. All holes are predrilled and fit two or four bumber rod holders

"Endeavor to persevere" Lone Watie

How well this stays on depends on the hardware thats provided. The factory usually uses a plastic piece that acts as an anchor, much the same way you would put an anchor in a wall. The difference is, on a bumper you have a very thin area holding the rods in place. One good pull, and that setup would pop off taking your rods with it. I'd rather a nut and bolt to hold that unit in place, say 5/16" with the appropriate washers and a nylock nut.

Just my .02 of course wink.gif

Jim C.
LIBBA - MSA - ASC
' You can tune a piano, but you can't Tuna fish"

• 2 weeks later...

I have the shorter launchers on mine. Had them for 5 years now and never take them off. Can't believe no one has crushed them parallel parking. The only drawback of the short ones is the rod butts of longer rods hang too low to the ground and you have to add an extension for surf rodsredface.gif Other than that they're great for $10, saved me $790.

I like EVERYONE, except for some people.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
View PostDoes anyone know where to buy the rubber inserts for the top? I might make my own rack and need the top pieces. Thanks!

These:

RLGRER98-th.jpg

The answer is in one of the earlier posts and starts with the word "The"

or go and buy some Fernco plumbing adapters from Homies or some radiator hose from any auto supply house. Both the last 2 suggestions need to be notched for the reel stem.

"Endeavor to persevere" Lone Watie