Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chigger

What conventional plugging reel for my Arra 1322

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

I am going to have a Ron Arra 1322 made this winter, and I'm looking to into what reel or reels you guys would put on it for plugging with mono, before I make it. I will be fishing for stripers and blues on the south shore of LI and Montauk. I currently own and like using the penn 525mag and Abu 6500c3ct. I like to experiment throwing all different size stuff. I'd like to go as light and as heavy as I can.

Ron Arra talks about using 25# test big game line. I don't know if that's needed here. I'm thinking 17 or 20# for me. I will be using this rod in a lot of places trying to push it's versatility.

Let me know your feelings on the subject.

Thanks

Trust me, you want a level wind...yes its a bit more maintenance than a non level wind, but makes for repeated casting from throwing lures easier...

Look no further Ambassadeur CS Rocket...upgrade to the power handle...I use this reel on my Arra 1322...a perfect match!

Poppy

Poppy is the man.. he catches sharks from the sand beaches with reels...

Go with the 6500 sized ABU, I own a lefty ABU61 "record" and its trouble free.

I pluggers dream.. I 6500 sized ABU is perfect for that rod...

I never really thought it was good to plug with a conventional. I have a 6500 ct abu and a 10 ft conv lami rod. Im gonna try it out. I always thought spinning would be better because you can control the speed more. Maybe for swiming plugs its good because you swim them slow but is conventional is good for throwing poppers?