Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishweewee

Breaking Strength of 30 lb. Test Fireline?

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, 55555s said:

Anyone currently using 30lb fireline for chunking ?    

 

 

1 hour ago, PSegnatelli said:

Yes.  My big bait setup has 30lb Fireline on it.  

I'm using it on my chunking setup, and it has worked flawlessly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Big Biscuit said:

 

I'm using it on my chunking setup, and it has worked flawlessly. 

Yep. Same here.  

 

I can't break 30lb FL in my basement by walking backwards.  I end up dragging my workbench.  If I tie off to the house my scale max's out pretty quick.    

By comparison 50lb PP snaps with the same test. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've used 20lb in the past and it was comically strong.  

 

Do you use a topshot?  I am considering a few wraps of mono but an leary of casting the knot through the guides.  Valid concern or ??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you can contract the fire line and mono top shot with hollow core you would eliminate the knots … u tube has the video

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

Yep. Same here.  

 

I can't break 30lb FL in my basement by walking backwards.  I end up dragging my workbench.  If I tie off to the house my scale max's out pretty quick.    

By comparison 50lb PP snaps with the same test. 

 

Sadly my experience as well. I posted on here asking what I was doing wrong tying knots as PP was the first braided I had used in about 20 years and kept breaking at way too easily. 1/2 the responses (or so it seemed) all said the problem was PP. Ultimately, my 30 lb fireline was stronger than my 65 lb PP (fireline broke at 45-50 lbs I think and PP at 35-40 lbs). My "65 lb" PP was demoted to conventional reels for black sea bass & such (originally meant for tuna jigging, and I'm really glad I tested the strength).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 55555s said:

Do you use a topshot?  I am considering a few wraps of mono 

 

what are you looking to accomplish by adding a topshot?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, 55555s said:

I've used 20lb in the past and it was comically strong.  

 

Do you use a topshot?  I am considering a few wraps of mono but an leary of casting the knot through the guides.  Valid concern or ??

IMO, casting an FG knot through guides is NOT a valid concern.  My setup is about 14 feet of 50# And Big Game "leader" to 40 or 50# PP.  I fish 11' rods, and this places the knot roughly between the bail and first guide.  My buddy prefers shorter.  I do change this long leader often-- usually after a heavy casting session.

 

How strong is it?  Unfortunately, I have been snagged many a time on the bottom of the canal, and I part with money elsewhere than the knot.

 

Edited by sauerkraut
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, 55555s said:

I've used 20lb in the past and it was comically strong.  

 

Do you use a topshot?  I am considering a few wraps of mono but an leary of casting the knot through the guides.  Valid concern or ??

No. I just use a swivel.   I use an unorthodox rigging system that works for me but isn't too popular on US shores.  

Edited by PSegnatelli

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, EBHarvey said:

 

what are you looking to accomplish by adding a topshot?

A few things:

 

It is a lot easier for me (and my kids) to cast a fairly decent bait and weight with heavy mono than with braid

 

abrasion resistance and protection from the caudal fin/break offs.  

 

I find that braid tangles more easily while chunking.  Mono is forgiving in this regard. 

 

Thats pretty much it, in order of importance. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

No. I just use a swivel.   I use an unorthodox rigging system that works for me but isn't too popular on US shores.  

 

OK, c'mon now!  Different thread about it somewhere? 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 mins ago, 55555s said:

 

OK, c'mon now!  Different thread about it somewhere? 

 

 

I think there might be one in the distance casting forum.  

 

Basic Clipped down pulley rig.   I use an circle hook and IMP clip.  Just started using it this year and I really like it.   Just a sidearm cast gets me enough distance with my busted up shoulders.  Put on enough weight and I can just lobb it out there without much pain. Zero helcoptering, just one mass of bait and weight that separates on impact.  

My fingers cant tie too many knots anymore so I'm just stickin with a palomar on a swivel.  All these leader knots just make me frustrated with myself and how broken I've become.  

 

pulley-rig-2017.png.1e2577b3a0a167ff0d37f5898457832f.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

I think there might be one in the distance casting forum.  

 

Basic Clipped down pulley rig.   I use an circle hook and IMP clip.  Just started using it this year and I really like it.   Just a sidearm cast gets me enough distance with my busted up shoulders.  Put on enough weight and I can just lobb it out there without much pain. Zero helcoptering, just one mass of bait and weight that separates on impact.  

My fingers cant tie too many knots anymore so I'm just stickin with a palomar on a swivel.  All these leader knots just make me frustrated with myself and how broken I've become.  

 

pulley-rig-2017.png.1e2577b3a0a167ff0d37f5898457832f.png

Good grief. 

 

What the hell is that!?   

 

I had one too many GnT's this evening to make any sense of this diagram.  tomorrow at breakfast.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 mins ago, 55555s said:

Good grief. 

 

What the hell is that!?   

 

I had one too many GnT's this evening to make any sense of this diagram.  tomorrow at breakfast.  

LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, EricDice said:

LOL

 

I flashed back to some free body diagram in physics.  I started labeling "N" and next thing I know I have a protractor and a slide rule in my hand.  

 

Too much right now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

I think there might be one in the distance casting forum.  

 

Basic Clipped down pulley rig.   I use an circle hook and IMP clip.  Just started using it this year and I really like it.   Just a sidearm cast gets me enough distance with my busted up shoulders.  Put on enough weight and I can just lobb it out there without much pain. Zero helcoptering, just one mass of bait and weight that separates on impact.  

My fingers cant tie too many knots anymore so I'm just stickin with a palomar on a swivel.  All these leader knots just make me frustrated with myself and how broken I've become.  

 

pulley-rig-2017.png.1e2577b3a0a167ff0d37f5898457832f.png

Feel your pain. I’m getting worse too. Just bought a 6 oz JW onyx & 8 oz vanford to make a lighter plug/jig combo even though I’m sacrificing other aspects of surfcasting in the process. 

 

The hook goes on that “wire tag” off the sputnik? Do you bridle the bait on your circle hooks? I’ve had better success with a short mono piece to a duolock that’s holding the bait. (Although you read my one bit about losing gear so “success” is an eye of the beholder situation, LOL.)

 

Those sputnik sinkers tend to foul my fishfinder rigs so I’ve been going more hattaris style sinkers the few times I chunked last several years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.