Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chigger

New abu spool tension settings

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I just bought the 6500Abu Garcia c3ct mag, and am not sure what I have here. It looks like there are 3 settings to help casting ( a left side knob, a right side knob and a magnet setting). Can any of you with experience using this reel help me to fine tune it. Do you open up the mag and tune the brakes or visa versa or something in between?

Is one for the spool tension. One for the mag. And on for the break?

I can't wait to get good at this thing

Thank you very much

Chigger,

Your reel is to be used w/o tension added. Spool centering is done with the right knob, tension or end knock setup with the left. Ideally you want just a touch of lateral spool play (knock) or the speed bushing to just kiss the inner bearing race when setup is correct.

The mags, blocks and proper oil offer plenty of control options. Practice and your experience will dictate the tune that suits. If you are very new to this, put the mag brakes on max, have two blocks installed, oil the bearings with a thicker oil like 3-in-one blue label and cast a weight on the heavy side for your rods action to start. Don't try to kill it, and respond to what the reel is telling you. Conventional reels/rods work best with a smooth fluid cast, and huge distances can be done with what seems like little effort. Make sure to take the time to spool line well and even at first, but you don't have to obsess in perfection in actual use.

After a while, a lot of folks use mag only with no blocks at all, but you could use all brakes and the mag set to zero if you like too. Total, wide ranging control options is the beauty of this reel..

Should you really want to have spool tension, you can swap out a few parts and have this option. PM me and I can give you the procedure should you want it.

SS

Thanks for the reply SS.

I get the part about the left knob (the other side from the star drag setting) controling the knock (slight side to side), and the mag setting from my penn 525 mag. What I don't get is then centering knob. How should that be set?

I will be casting a super strike popper and darter 2 3/4 oz. till I get a handle on this reel.

This is my first year with the conventionals, and I love um.

I may have tons of questions in the near future.

Thanks again

The knob under the star drag should be as tight as possible. The knob on the left side of the reel is used for tensioning the spool knock. ( I like to feel aa small amount of side play) If centering the spool is necessary, You take one shim from one side and put it on the other side. The side you move the shim TO will shift away from the side plate on that side. This adjustment is rarely needed. The symptom that the spool is uneven will usually be the line will slip between the spool and chop off, or the line will not lay down evenly across the spool - sometimes leaving a void on one side.

I have the green c3ct as well, I know , from my own experience I had to practice with it. An hour or so I was ok with the reel. No biggie.

If ya just want to cast with it you should be ok. Some folks supe these reels up, but I just want it for fishing, no casting contests. If you want it for the same reason , I think you'll be ok with it.icon14.gif

Chigger,

Newer 65xx size reels have an rubber O ring on the RH cap stud. Rubber O ring equipped studs for ABU reels means the cap is intended for adjustment. Older 6xxx sized reels, i.e., 6000C/6500C, and 7000 sized reels with fixed axle shafts and no O ring on the RH cap stud are turned till tight, and use shims to center the spool. Since your reel is made using a rubber O ring, try this to center the spool:

Loosen both knobs a few turns, put the reel into free spool then tilt the reel vertically with the handle down. Now turn the RH knob till you see the spool rise, and stop when the spool flanges are even within the frame. Now slowly turn the left knob checking for lateral play (knock) often. Stop when there is just a minute amount, or continue just until the bushing makes contact with the bearing.... Done.

With all of the control options available to you, you should have NO trouble casting that SS popper a very long way with outstanding control. Learn from your mistakes, and welcome to the world of conventional gear biggrin.gificon14.gif.

SS