big popper

keeping eals.

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

sorry about the spelling.up late last night EEL's. thank you for all the info great stuf to know.at $1.75 each i try to make them last.

So we've covered cuisine and accomodations for the Eals (love that one), but how does one get that gnarly funk. My car smells like krap and I'm sure my wife will just love it when I put in the car seat for the wee one and we go for a family drive... biggrin.gif

i keep about 10 or 12 in a minnow bucket[the kind with holes] on the north side of my house in the shade with the hose on forming just a mist. will last for 1-2 weeks

I punch a bunch of holes in a one gallon milk container and put a half dozen in that. Throw them into a small freshwater stream and they will last for several weeks.

If youre not going to use them in a few days.

3 bucket method, with water just dripping into the top bucket.

Cut a drain slit or hole on the bottom of the 3 bucket system though.

On 10/23/2006 at 0:56 PM, big popper said:

sorry about the spelling.up late last night EEL's. thank you for all the info great stuf to know.at $1.75 each i try to make them last.

Digging up this old post because I too want to know how to keep a few fresh. I just paid $3 a piece....I know this article is quite old, but funny to see the above. 

I generally keep up to a dozen in a 5 gallon bucket in my basement where it stays cool. I also add a plug in aquarium aerator and change the water daily. 

The system pictured is THE best way I know to keep eels (16 or so) lively up to three days without water. Cooler with ice or , better yet liquid ice containers on bottom  , and insert with holes drilled in bottom on top of ice containers. 

E6531E6F-C7CC-4212-9208-13AE07F4797B.jpeg

C7CC4B6B-F144-4187-8600-65AA0EEADC79.jpeg

CF978DD0-13E9-42A3-BF4F-54101315497B.jpeg

While a little inconvenient with having to replace ice every day or so I had a lot of luck with the three bucket method and had eels live for a week or so. The only downside was the eels became much lighter colored.

I had an uncle keep them almost indefinitely in a black garbage pail with an aerator in his garage.

20 mins ago, AClarke said:

While a little inconvenient with having to replace ice every day or so I had a lot of luck with the three bucket method and had eels live for a week or so. The only downside was the eels became much lighter colored.

I had an uncle keep them almost indefinitely in a black garbage pail with an aerator in his garage.

I've actually done very well with lighter colored eels on dark, moonless nights.

14 mins ago, DanCbass said:

I've actually done very well with lighter colored eels on dark, moonless nights.

I had only ever heard that people liked to keep the eels dark and that people go out of their way to keep them that way. In practice I could see it definitely being another tactic/tool to have a lighter colored eel. I don't throw them that often just out of the inconvenience, especially this year I have been disorganized just having moved in to my house but I really want to set up a system to keep them at the house so I can have them on hand.

On 10/23/2006 at 11:20 AM, g2h said:

i hope you're kidding? people really eat eels? upck.gif

oh man, you have no idea

it's a huge industry rife with black markets, smuggling, fbi stings, etc

a pound of live elvers sells for thousands of dollars

2 Black buckets (2 gallon size). fit into each other... The top one has many holes drilled for easy drainage .  I run an aerator and change water every 1-2 days.   The 2 bucket system with holes can be used both as a ice/drip system when traveling, or to easily lift them out of the water to select a few or change out the water .   (I probably could have explained that a bit better, but the info is there