big popper

keeping eals.

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

sax. could you explain the 3 bucket method please. i'm guessing eels go in one, ice in another, and ____ in the third? and in what order. i have trouble keeping them alive for a day or two let alone a week.

what is the best way to keep eals for a few nights befor useing them.headscratch.gif

best way to keep eels (if you don't have an aerator) is in your pail (preferably not metal), in the refridgerator. (3) days is pushing it. DON'T add any water - they will drown. If you bring home some salt water and keep it in the fridge, you can give them a rinse a couple times a day... This will keep them from drying out, and will wash out salt that has been concentrating on their skin in the drying process.

My advice,... get them closer to the time your about to fish... (3) days is really pushing it, even with the rinses.

3 bucket system works for me. take one bucket and leave it as is. take the other 2 and drill 10 thousand holes in the bottom of them- eels go in the middle bucket and ice goes in the top bucket. eel schmeg will drip into the bottom bucket.

If you want to get really fancy, get 3 black or dark grey fish totes- you can store many more eels in them and the dark plastic helps keep your eels from turning lighter colors.

what is the best way to keep eals

Take a knife and slit the skin right behind the gills all the way around the head.

Nail the head to a tree, and then take a pair of pliers, grab the skin, and peel it off.

Remove the guts, fillet out the backbone, split the meat in half, dredge in some flour and breadcrumbs mixed with Old Bay, and then saute/pan fry for a few minutes in butter and olive oil....Put on a plate, squeeze on some lemon and sprinkle on a bit of salt.....

They will keep just fine in your belly....drool.gif

wink.gif

Take a knife and slit the skin right behind the gills all the way around the head.

Nail the head to a tree, and then take a pair of pliers, grab the skin, and peel it off.

Remove the guts, fillet out the backbone, split the meat in half, dredge in some flour and breadcrumbs mixed with Old Bay, and then saute/pan fry for a few minutes in butter and olive oil....Put on a plate, squeeze on some lemon and sprinkle on a bit of salt.....

wink.gif

i hope you're kidding? people really eat eels? upck.gif

Good2.....if I put it on your plate and didn't tell you what it was, you would say that it is about the best fish you ever tasted......think flounder, only sweeter and better.......drool.gif

And I didn't even mention smoked eel......drool.gifdrool.gifheart.gif

if you plan on fishing a few days after you purchased the eels, you can juts leave them in a soft cooler with a ziplock bag of ice. just make sure to change the ice frequently and drain the slime so they don't drown. i kept eels alive for 4 days last week like this, they hold up much better this time of year

wink.gif

and then you put the skin on a plug or jig right

Keep them cold, damp and in the dark. They'll keep for quite awhile.

I rigged up a cheap styrofoam cooler with a false bottom 2" from the cooler's floor. A drainhole and tubed to a jug just under the false bottom. Couple of wood strips along the sides to hold ice boxes about 3" above the false bottom, with holes in the boxes. Also mounted a airator to the bottom to supply fresh oxygen.

Ice melting and dripping on the eels keeps them cold and wet without being in the water. The coolers make the ice last for a day and a half without worry.

This is a permanent set-up in the cellar, I use a "bucket" like mentioned above (sorta) for taking them "swimming".

So far I've kept a doz. eels for a week and a half with good results before using them up.

Just keep 'em cold, dark, and damp. You'll be fine.

Good2.....if I put it on your plate and didn't tell you what it was, you would say that it is about the best fish you ever tasted......think flounder, only sweeter and better.......drool.gif

And I didn't even mention smoked eel......drool.gifdrool.gifheart.gif

i'm in i'll try it. i heart.gif flounder....

Cool...smile.gif

Couple of words of advice, though....first, like any fish, DON'T overcook it!

Second, while it has the flavor of flounder and blowfish (sweet and delicate), don't expect the texture to be the same (i.e., flaky)......it is more like blowfish or monkfish, texturewise......but then, folks have often called monkfish "Poor Man's Lobster", and that is due to the similarity in its texture to lobster (monkfish doesn't have much flavor of it's own, but takes on the flavors you impart upon it.)

I use a lazy two bucket method.

One bucket with holes, inside a regular bucket. I but a damp rag on top of the eels, toss some ice on top of the rag. Ice melts and keeps teh rag and eels wet and cool. In my garage in the fall, they'll last a week easy.