Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MrScrant

Homemade plug and tackle storage

34 posts in this topic

I'm looking for tips for homemade plug and tackle storage in the back of your buggy. What I'm not looking for is some storage unit that you can buy from Cabelas or anything (not sure if they even make them). For example, I was dragged to Ikea with my girlfriend the other night. After hours of endless browing, we found our way to storage units. I saw a cheap wooden milk crate-shaped box with 9 cubby holes. I thought that would be perfect for plug storage, but the drawers would go flying open if I had to jam on the brakes.

So, does anyone have any tips on how they store and organize all their crapola in their buggy?

Does anydody know if there is such as a full extention drawer slide for a 5' drawer?(and where to get them) I want to build something like Ben's false floor with 2 drawers in the back of my Chevy pick-up. The anchor point will be at the back so it won't tip out when both drawers are pulled out.

Jim

loongcaster

At the local home center I purchased clear plastic tubes (6ft. long) that cover flourescent bulbs then cut them down to about 8" long tubes and stacked them vertically on end in a plastic container with a snap on lid. My container holds about 26 tubes. I also drilled holes in the plastic container bottom to allow for drainage so when I get home I can hose down all the lures at once and allow them to dry naturally.

Here's what I did. I took a piece of 1/2 inch plywood, to fit between my tailgate and my fifth wheel hitch. I divided it up into four sections using 1x6. The two center areas hold those under bed plastic storage bins with covers that lock down tight to keep the weather out. This holds plugs, bucktails , rubber, parts, line, hooks, tackle. The outer areas hold two narrow drawers,(plywood boxes) one with lead, the other with what ever (bug spray, bungees, wd-40 etc.) i still have room to put 3 fish boxes on top of the plywood with wetsuits, waders, etc. and not go above the rail of the pickup, so the bed cover fits. It would work the same way in the back of a SUV. I'll try and get a pic, because I'm sure no one knows what I'm talking about.

Pete

IMG_0171-600x450.jpg

I used a different approach in our Tahoe. I built this box to hold the buggy safety equipment on the starboard side and the tackle equipment on the port. I used tupperware type containers for sinkers and put the plugs and metals in a couple of those store bought orginizer trays. The reels and trays go in the forward port compartment. They jacking board and under the tire board in captured in recepticles under the box. The sand spikes get wedged into place when the tailgate is closed. Please remember to come up with a way to secure whatever tackle box system you come up with and other gear have to the vehicle. This box is bolted to the rear seat holddowns with j-bolts and well as being restrained by 2 tie down straps across the entire unit. While you might not want to think about it, if you do get in collision, the last thing you want is your tackle box and it's contents flying about inside the cabin. This happened to one of the guys in the club and they were lucky not to sustain and injuries from thier tackle. While thier tackle box stayed put, they said there was a volley of 6 oz. sinkers flying along with plugs with trebles and it could have been a worse mess than it was. Think safety first here when putting these custom built boxes in your buggies.

Sorry, when I said to check out ************ I thought you were talking about a beach buggy cart, pier cart that type of item, not a storage unit for the back of your truck, my mistake. You might want to check out ******************* its a manufacturer/ service provider linking site, you will find all kinds of unique websites there, check out the fabricator category you may find a website with some some ideas you can use.

Please do not put in links to commercial web sites, thanks.