Bizarre late night happenings

Rate this topic

EBHarvey

I've heard a lot of stories told by fishermen about the strange and scary things that go on late at night on the water, so I'd like to hear some of them, maybee some from some of the newer guys that might have missed the past ghost story threads.

Also......here's what I saw last night:

I'm fishing the outflow of a medium-sized tidal marsh last night. There are piles of 10-15+ pound blues slaughtering the bunker as they wash out of the marsh. I'm killing them - every cast for the bottom half of the tide, even weighed a few over 15#. Unfourtunately there didn't seem to be any bass active, even downstream of the carnage. Around 1:30am a police officer pulls up to watch me fish. Out of nowhere this kid, maybee 18 or 20, walks up to us, passes right between us, doesn't look up or say a word, and walks right into the water. When he gets in to about his waist the current knocks him over and he goes bobbing off downstream. The officer and I stare at each other for a few seconds, neither of us able to grasp what we just saw. He was even more dumbfounded than I, and took at least a minute to think to call for help. By this time the kid had drifted a few hundred yards and was passing by a Marina where they eventually picked him out of the water. He denied everything headscratch.gif . The funny thing is that once I realized that someone had just gone into a fast-flowing river and could very well drown, the first thoughts that came into my minds were "I wonder if the bluefish are going to eat him" and "can I start casting again, or do I have to wait until he goes around the next bend in the river?"

Lets hear some stories guys, I know you've got em.

I've done stuff I ain't proud of, and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting.

"can I start casting again, or do I have to wait until he goes around the next bend in the river?"

cwm27.gifclapping.gif

Justice will only exist where those not affected by injustice are filled with the same amount of indignation as those offended.

~ Plato

Other than the damned foxes stealing my vest I have only this so far.

I'm fishing Corson Inlet in S.Jersey about 3 am in April last year. Out of the dark from the ocean side comes this big kid. He is barefoot, carrying a dimly lit lantern, and wearing a big old lady nightgown. He doesn't say a word just walks past. I can see the lantern most of the way down the inlet until it just disappears. Freaky.

Years ago, before they erected the suicide barriers along the top road way of the Sagamore Bridge which spans the Cape Cod Canal, I was fishing at the base of the bridge during an early pea soup foggy morning.

Suddenly, the stillness of the night was broken by the screeching of tires on the bridge. Shortly thereafter I heard the splash of a large object hitting the water somewhere in the vicinity of under the bridge.

I spent the next few days reading the local newspapers and searching for any information of unusual happenings that night. I found none.

To this day I often wonder what happened that night. Obviously, someone did not leave their vehicle on the bridge and jump off the bridge else the abandoned vehicle would have been noted.

Could someone have dropped a body or other large object off the bridge and hastily drive off? Maybe.

Joe G

hmmm, i dunno dude- that WAY tops any weird ones i have had, ( or heard!)

I was the guy in the river.... well, not that one.....

Brother and I juiced, James River above flood stage, close to sunset (12 feet over I think) enough had to drive through water in an X-19 on the main road to get the inflatable in, and parked in a foot of water. River has class 5 at normal levels, and this stuff looked like coffee, with lots of cream. Not the 5th, not the 3rd, but the very first rock we hit, over I go... got to see the whole frickin city while being banged and bounced off rocks (about 8 miles), coughed that stuff up from my lungs for weeks. He did manage to stay with the boat, although would never hold air again, and weren't to sure we would. $800 lesson, was it worth it.... all I can say, was a one shot deal, never repeated. Yes, it was way long ago.... but getting that taste in my mouth just thinking about it cwm13.gif

"Vaya con Dios"...

Years ago, before they erected the suicide barriers along the top road way of the Sagamore Bridge which spans the Cape Cod Canal, I was fishing at the base of the bridge during an early pea soup foggy morning.

Suddenly, the stillness of the night was broken by the screeching of tires on the bridge. Shortly thereafter I heard the splash of a large object hitting the water somewhere in the vicinity of under the bridge.

I spent the next few days reading the local newspapers and searching for any information of unusual happenings that night. I found none.

To this day I often wonder what happened that night. Obviously, someone did not leave their vehicle on the bridge and jump off the bridge else the abandoned vehicle would have been noted.

Could someone have dropped a body or other large object off the bridge and hastily drive off? Maybe.

Joe G

A number of years ago, I was involved in an unfortunate "accident" with a business associate. I was desperate...very desperate, and not thinking very clearly. I found myself driving along the SagamoreBridge during the wee hours of the morning. I thought that the thick fog would obscure a clear view of what I was about to do in the unlikely event that someone was present at that early hour. I hastily dumped my evidence over the rail. I thought that I was in the clear when I spotted a fisherman on the bank of the canal. I thought for certain that he had seen me and awaited the police to arrive at my home. To my surprise they never did. Thanks, Joe for keeping quiet!wink.gif

Not having a rod in Montauk is like going to the Playboy mansion without your penis - DaveS
JH 8/25/25 - 4/25/09

Fishing way out on the rocks in a secluded area on the S side of Block Island, I turn and look in at the beach and there is a guy taking pictures of me, he was wearing and accouning visor, sunglasses, wrist bands, socks and sandles, and NOTHING ELSE cwm31.gifcwm31.gif. I just kept fishing and hoped he would disappear.

"Of all my wife's relations, I like myself the best" ...Grandpa

Fishing way out on the rocks in a secluded area on the S side of Block Island, I turn and look in at the beach and there is a guy taking pictures of me wearing and accouning visor, sunglasses, wrist bands, socks and sandles, and NOTHING ELSE cwm31.gifcwm31.gif. I just kept fishing and hoped he would disappear.

cwm27.gifcwm27.gif

Fishing way out on the rocks in a secluded area on the S side of Block Island, I turn and look in at the beach and there is a guy taking pictures of me wearing and accouning visor, sunglasses, wrist bands, socks and sandles, and NOTHING ELSE cwm31.gifcwm31.gif. I just kept fishing and hoped he would disappear.

You do realize that according to your wording, you were the one wearing nothing but a visor, sunglasses, wrist bands, socks and sandals while you were fishing with this guy snapping pics of you. Right?

nothing wrong with that if that's the case. Just letting you know. wink.gif

Crap forgot the comma time to edit.

You do realize that according to your wording, you were the one wearing nothing but a visor, sunglasses, wrist bands, socks and sandals while you were fishing with this guy snapping pics of you. Right?

nothing wrong with that if that's the case. Just letting you know. wink.gif

"Of all my wife's relations, I like myself the best" ...Grandpa

Other than the damned foxes stealing my vest I have only this so far.

I'm fishing Corson Inlet in S.Jersey about 3 am in April last year. Out of the dark from the ocean side comes this big kid. He is barefoot, carrying a dimly lit lantern, and wearing a big old lady nightgown. He doesn't say a word just walks past. I can see the lantern most of the way down the inlet until it just disappears. Freaky.

Sounds about par with the rumors I've heard about the beaches on that end of Ocean City after dark. I've know more than one guy who's been out fishing late at night only to nearly trip over a couple of guys, ah, "cuddling".

cwm31.gif

Not really a weird one but, 2 weeks ago I'm anchored up just off the main channel (ICW) when a 27-28' regulator type hull comes cruising up the channel, middle of the day, 2 guys on the boat. They hit the green bouy (about 50yds from me) straight on, full throttleheadscratch.gif , then looks back to see "what was that"headscratch.gif

I like EVERYONE, except for some people.

Was on Georges back in 2000. Each time I was on deck a loud boom like a gun shot normally in the middle of the night broke the usual silence. I found out later (after ducking a couple times....I was living in Camden, NJ a couple of years before) that it was the Concord going super sonic. redface.gif

Two years ago I was out on a commercial boat out of RI and we saw lights off in the horizon at about 2AM. Big boat moving at a high rate of speed, it seemed from the deck. Funny thing when I got to the wheel house the captain was just staring at the boat then back to the radar. There was nothing showing on the screen. I heard later that he had the electronics checked and they were working perfectly.

A friend of mine was on a research cruise off Panama about 5 years ago. When they brought back the trawl there were two skeletons, had cuffed together and facing each other, both chained to a concrete slab that was over 200 lbs and the chain had wrapped up in the trawl doors.