Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Drew C.

Tica Reels (Libra)

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I was looking for a new reel. Originally looking at the Sustain 5000 but then I looked at the Tica Libra. What are people's thoughts on these? From what I remember people generally like them. My dad has a 2500, nice reel. But to date it hasn't been used much yet. The price sure seems right. Any problems with braid? What about service/repairs? The reel will see mainly light use through out the year since I mainly flyfish. Thanks for any help.

I luv ym libras, I now have the 3000, 3500, and 4000 libras... line capacity is awesome, drag smoothness is great, they seem tough enough, the 3000 I have is into it's 300th+ fish and is still solid.. twice I had to retighten the handle screw, but it takes just a second to do when you start to feel a little slop there... torque the screw back and the slop is gone ... been using the smallest one the most to see how it will take my abuse, and it's been surprisingly solid and stops fish well up to 15lbs... after that it needs a little thumb help.. but again this is the 3000 .. it fits in the palm of your hand; the 3500 is almost twice the size and a much beefier reel.. 4000 is bigger yet and quite a brute... as a matter of fact I'm taking the 4000 to the ditch fling for use at slower tide periods...... I know it'll be fine... BTW- they handle braid better then any reel I've used to date...

be careful though, the version that Cabelas sells is not the same reel that TimS sells here... saw one from there and it had issues right out of the box.. different handle, line-lay issues (bad), and anti-reverse troubles... IMO- not the same reel... seemed like a "walmart" quality in comparison to the ones I have.. got mine here..

you'll luv it... I'll prolly catch 500 fish on the 3000 before it needs parts .. haven't got into any parts yet..

rock on

the only problem i ever had w/ my 4000 Libra was the collapsable (sp?) handle...i changed it out and found that a handle from a ABU I had fit perfectly...this reel has the best drag of any spinner I've ever used...i use 50# PP and I never have wind knots in 3 yrs of use...match this reel with a 8.5 - 9' rod and you have the ultimate bomber- size plugging setup... open it up and look at the guts...you get a lot more than what you pay for...

I've been using a Libra 4000 all summer and its one sweet reel. I'm using 20# PP on it with a light spinner built on a Lami GSH1082H salmon/steelhead blank. This set-up casts bombers and Tim's 5" SOL minnows a mile. Never any wind knots and the drag has passed the "cownose ray" test biggrin.gif

smooth drag on libra But I can kill one in 1 tear

I like the felt washers int the 5000

I have a 6000 I killed that to and need to send it out.

epoxy the handle when Ya get it.

and watch for bail snaping shut

The Tica Libra 4000 is great...I have been using one spooled with 50 lb. Spiderwire and new Stealth for 3 years on an 11 ft. rod at the ditch and it is still tight...

Someone on this site had suggested rotating the bail to its stoping point after opening and before casting to eliminate the bail closing problem and it has worked 100% for me...Also I had the folding handle problem and called Tica to see if I could get it repaired and they said they were changing the handles to a one piece/non folding design and would send me one for free which they did...

Good reel and great service...

You can't beat that...

John

I disabled the bail auto-trip on my Libra as per Vinnyb's instructions here. and haven't had the bail close on me once. icon14.gif

I've always closed the bail manually on all my reels to avoid wind knots, so its never been a problem with the auto trip not there.

I disabled the bail auto-trip on my Libra as per Vinnyb's instructions here. and haven't had the bail close on me once.

Thank you Pleco and Vinnyb. That bail closing in mid cast was driving me nuts. This is my second tica libra. I loved the first one but I gave it to my son. The new ones bail flips all the time. That is an easy solution.

I might try one out this fall. For the money if I get one season it will be worth it. I fish a decent amount of days in the fall.

BM, we need to stack you up against the saltiga for a season...it would be interesting to see the results! (got the deed to your house handy?)