Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Linesides

Shinnecock, LI - Please Help!?!

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Hello folks,

So I've found myself in one of those situations where a non-fishing buddy of mine is taking me out on his family's ski boat, along with several other non-fishing buddies. Obviously, I want to do everything in my power to show them a successful day, in the hopes of converting them avid anglers. We're going to be fishing Shinnecock Inlet and Bay, and the immediate surrounding area, and I'm looking for any help possible. Predominant baits (I've heard they're seeing tons of sand eels), preferred tides, good spots or methods, and anything else anyone might be willing to offer. I'd love to see them connect with a couple of big bass, hearing that the Inlet has been fishing well, and see that first-big-fish grin. Thanks in advance, and I'll see if I can't recruit some future striperphiles.

Linesides

First, watch your step at the inlet. The standing wave activity is brutal in the inlet mouth and someone in the party is going to see people fishing there and want to try. If the boat isn't set up for fishing, don't do it. There are often bass in the leading edge of the standing waves that develop when outgoing tide meets incoming surf, but it's serious water, so don't do it with amateurs.

Also note that the riprap on each side of the inlet is park property, and will be dotted with casters tossing bucktails. Better to drift the East Cut - (? I think) with sandworms or eels on the bottom. A big killie is an underestimated live bait for bass, too, and B&B in Center Moriches may have some.

Live bait on the bottom is the way 95% of the people there fish. There is no room for trolling. Keep a spinning rod handy rigged with a tin for little blues that show on the surface.

Linesides, Ditto BBM's comments. If this boat is not set up for offshore (read good freeboard all around) be real careful in Shinnecock. If it is a for real ski boat, only fish the incoming. In both East and West cuts, squid and killies or squid on bucktails should produce Fluke. Live eels or clam bellies drifted with 2-4 oz of lead could produce some nice bass.

linesides- you will catch fish!!! I had a great day this past Sunday from a boat (and was embarassed to post here). We went out at 8:30 am, which was dead high tide, so we went ouside the inlet - east, off the "castle" and caught fluke (3 keepers, 10+ shorts) on 3/4 oz bucktails w/ squid. When the tide started falling we drifted the inlet. 1 oz bucktails with squid. We caught blues and short bass. I switched to clams (sorry) and caught a 35" beauty. By now it was 2pm, and the tide was nearly dead low. We headed north toward the Canal (we dock the boat at Jacksons there) and found cocktail blues busting just south of the Canal. Had a great time with the ultra lite tackle. The moral of my story is that you WILL catch fish, and the options are many!!

Ditto what others have said about the inlet. I lived in Southampton for 4 summers. If you don't have suffiecient freboard don't venture into it unless its very calm. Fluke fishing should be superb inside and I understand that cocktails are plentiful. Should yoiu venture through the canal Peconic Bay should have weaks and cocktails. Fast action with cocktails and fluke should make for a fun day and possibly some converts. Enjoy

Thanks for all of the replies, folks. The mouth of the inlet is a bit of a concern for me, as the boat is a relatively short-statured ski boat. If I fish the outgoing, which I will be doing on Sat., I'm just going to do my best to work close to the free standing waves, and try to drift a couple of eels back into them. I want to catch fish, but I sure won't find any converts if I sink my buddy's boat, so I'll watch it out there. When drifting the inlet, are you drifting eels with weight, and if so are you going with egg sinkers, rubber-cores, or three way rigs with a breakaway sinker? If I remember correctly, most people drift against the east wall, so I assume I should fall into line with the other boats? One last question as well: have you ever fished the bridge (I think it's called the Ponquogue?), and if so which side and on what tides? Thanks so much for your help. It'll go a long towards making this a succesful outing.

Linesides