Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Paul Simmons

Thank you everyone who helped me

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

Thanks alot to everyone who answered by question concerning the difference between fiberglass and graphite rods.

Also, thanx to all the members who informed me that I will need a seperate rod for bait fishing and plugging.

For plugging I have bought a 10 foot fenwich salt stick with a penn 706 z reel

For bait fishing i have bought a 12 foot tica (4-10 0z).

However i need a reel to match the 12 foot tica. Any suggestions? I was thinking penn 8500ss

Thanks,

Paul.

I would recommend a Shimano Baitrunner 6500B. It will run about $120, and IMHO is well worth it. The 6500 original "A" that I bought 5 or so years ago, is still going strong. Mine is spooled w/ 20# Trilene Big Game, and it has held up pretty well (I have let a few chunks of lead fly into the deep blue, but it was my fault, not the line's)

Brandon

Check out one of the big Shimano Spheros (~$120), or big size Daiwa Laguna (~$90). Hit a local shop and test it out on the rod for balance & feel.

Penn 704Z, or 706Z and Shimano Baitrunner 6500B would work well, too.

Now stop reading here and go FISH! biggrin.gif

I would recommend a Shimano Baitrunner 6500B. It will run about $120, and IMHO is well worth it.

I'll second that icon14.gif

Make that 3 icon14.gif

Nautil 7500 icon14.gificon14.gif And you can buy it here smile.gif

129 $$$ cwm12.gif

Yes, Nautil 7500 yeallow would be my choice too. Works well with braids, and it is very resistant to spray and sand

DMala

I'd second the Nautil 7500 - if using braid of mono of around 15#. If it's got enough line capacity to land 40# plus fish in the Cape Cod Canal's currents, it'll handle any sort of bass you hook from the sand smile.gif

If you want to use mono, check out the TiCA Dolphin in 9000 size - it's a quarter pound lighter than the Penn 8500SS and holds 305 yds of 20# mono. The Penn 8500SS holds just 20 yds more of 20# mono.

And yah get infinite anti-reverse with means no back slap in the reel. You get a worm gear driven line wrapping system with a ball bearing line roller. 13 ball bearings. A long cast spool design instead of the Penn old deep spool design.

TimS

wow, I never realized so many guys used the Shimano 6500B bait runner reels icon25.gif I haven't used a Shimano baitrunner in about 12 years - have they changed that much? They never really felt solid, but I do know they re-worked the design a year or two ago.

I guess I should stock them if it's so many guys first choice in bigger spinning reels.

TimS

I haven't used a Shimano baitrunner in about 12 years TimS

icon14.gif Still using the ones older than that, whenever they first came out, still going strong. Don't hear much of them from you northern folks, but we likes `em down here wink.gif

TimS,

I use a BR 3500B and BR 4500A for plugging reels as well. 95% of the time I don't use bait. I like the fact that you can slap that lever to let out line. Both work well with 30 lb Whiplash, too. smile.gif I rather slap the lever to let out some line, than PULL the braid with my hands. wink.gif

A series baitrunners have the problem of anti-reverse going bad. I had it happen to me a couple of times. I found that if I slap the lever back across real fast and hard the AR comes back on (4500A).

Weight is never an issue for me on a reel. I'm use to the metal bodied 750SS. I bet if you stocked the Baitrunners you would sell them. smile.gif Daiwa Hardbodyz (Kastor, Laguna, etc) are sweet, you messed with then at all, TimS?

I personally would use the 706 for bait fishing because of the lack of casting performance it will give you and you cant really throw chunks that far anyways. I would look at the penn slammer, mitchell nautil 6500 or 7500, or maybe the diawa kastor or emblem series all of which cast extremely well. I used to use the finor ahab8 which is a nice reel for plugging but on the expensive side. I have the yellow 6500 nautil on order and when I recieve this reel I plan on using it for plugging at night.

I would go with the Nautil 7500 without question. Low or no maintenance, smooth, proven and as reliable or better than Shimano or penn. I've had Shimano Baitrunners and they are good reels but they have their issues particularly when they get wet and their anti-reverse has always been a nightmare.

Penn 8500ss, I wouldnt even consider it, look at a Daiwa BG 60 or 90 if ya wanna big reel like that.

Im just not a big fan of any surf rod over 10', even the 11' footers wear me out and anyhting over 11 and im lookin to hurt myself.