who doesn't drink (alcohol) anymore?

Rate this topic

g2h

I KNEW IT! I knew there was a bunch of drunks around here!

Our bud good2hook could be right on the verge of getting rid of a horrible compulsion and trading it for a really fun one (pointless but fun!).

You won't believe how much time you have to devote to taking fishing "over the top" if you can put that stuff down!!! Makes me want to drive to Surfland and buy some plugs!

Thanks for helping keep me sober today good2hook.

“My happiness is not the means to any end. It is the end. It is its own goal. It is its own purpose.”

Ayn Rand

I KNEW IT! I knew there was a bunch of drunks around here!

Our bud good2hook could be right on the verge of getting rid of a horrible compulsion and trading it for a really fun one (pointless but fun!).

You won't believe how much time you have to devote to taking fishing "over the top" if you can put that stuff down!!! Makes me want to drive to Surfland and buy some plugs!

Thanks for helping keep me sober today good2hook.

just some friend's of Bill trying to do some electronic 12th work .......

Artist/Band: Chesney Kenny

Lyrics for Song: That's Why I'm Here

Lyrics for Album: I Will Stand

No I ain't had nothing to drink

I knew thats probably what you'd think

If I dropped by this time of night

Remember way back when

I promised you I'd drop in

At one of those meetings down at the Y

Well, they started talkin bout steps you take

Mistakes you make

The hearts you break

And the price you pay

I almost walked away

You could hear a pin drop

When this old man

Stood up and said I'm gonna' say it again

Like I do every week

For those who don't know me

It's the simple things in life

Like the kids at home and a loving wife

That you miss the most, when you lose control

And everything you love starts to disappear

The devil takes your hand and says no fear

Have another shot, just one more beer

Yah, I've been there, that's why I'm here

This ole boy stood up in the aisle

Said he'd been living a life of denial

And he cried as he talked about wasted years

I couldn't believe what I heard

It was my life word for word

And all of the sudden it was clear

I know for us it may be too late

But it would mean the world to me

If you were there when I stand to say

Oh, I've been there, that's why I'm here

" Deer hunting is hours and hours of sweet anticipation graced with moments of incredible excitement" - Steve Chapman, Christian write/singer/songwriter/artist

I am one of those people who would drink every weekend. It would always be with family and friends and it was always a good time. The problem is that after awhile it would always be about the drinking and that would be the priority.. Like I couldn't take the edge off without a drink.. Sometimes my son would ask me to do something and I would say no because I just wanted to sit in my chair with my ice cold heineken and chill.. I have always been able to walk away from drinking for months at a time.. I am all or nothing.. Well I have recently started a strict nutritional program(NOT A DIET) and I stopped drinking completely. As of today, I have lost 10 pounds, hopefully mostly fat, and I am loving every minute of it. No doubt that the lack of calorie heavy heineken in my diet has contributed to the loss. My mind is constantly on eating right and pursuing a decent build.. and BEER and other alcohol are NOT part of that equation... AND a bonus is the next morning when everyone is throwing up and spending hours recovering, I'm outside walking, running, watching a sunrise, hanging with my kids and wife or whatever else I would like to do.. And I'm not miserable all day long..... INSPIRE yourself and enjoy your life..

Regards,

ErikT

Well I have recently started a strict nutritional program(NOT A DIET) and I stopped drinking completely. As of today, I have lost 10 pounds, hopefully mostly fat, and I am loving every minute of it.

Alcohol does have a lot of calories. I've found I can lose 2 pounds a day simply by running out of beer. Though I hate every minute of it. frown.gif

Justice will only exist where those not affected by injustice are filled with the same amount of indignation as those offended.

~ Plato

I'm closing in on 2 years alcohol free.

I weighed 208 pounds when I quit. Aside from alcohol, I also stopped eating ANY fried or processed foods.

Those are the only changes I have made and to date, I've lost 34 pounds.

I guess I did drink a lot of beer!cwm13.gif

What we think, or what we know, or what we believe, is in the end, of little consequence. The only thing of consequence is what we do. -John Ruskin (1819-1900)

FW, did ya quit because of the weight or was it other reasons? Seems like most that have responded quit because it was a problem in their life. I have a friend who recently ruined his second marriage because of alcohol. Some people just shouldn't drink. Unfortunately, they often find out too late.

You know it must be a penguin bound down if you hear that terrible screaming and there ain't no other birds around. 

FW, did ya quit because of the weight or was it other reasons?

Bottom line is that I am an alcoholic. I've known I was one since I was 14.

I only ever had two drinks a day ... never bothered counting the ones in between the first and last and I drank every day. 6 beers was nothing ... 8 to 12 a couple of days a week, cases on the weekend.

I never drank at work, never missed work due to drinking, never had a DUI and never had a doctor tell me to quit. I was (am) a functional alcoholic.

I quit for my own reasons: some too personal to share with such large audience, some for obvious reasons: Not wanting to hurt anyone DUI, not wanting my children to think of their Father every time they smelled booze on somebodies breath.

My Father died from acute alcoholism at 51. I am my Fathers son and have the same chemical markers he had. There is absolutely no way I can have just one drink. The first one just kick starts the system and it's off to the races.

For me it was a concious choice and I did it alone. I do give credit to a collegue, however, for a comment she made one day that really got me thinking.

I had routinely used Fenet Branca (an appertif) as a remedy for stomach distress. The stuff works. My friend was in my home and complained of stomach troubles. I offered her a tablespoon of Fenet Branca mixed in orange juice (the stuff tastes awful) and she asked if it contained alcohol.

When I told her yes it did, she said, "alcohol is poison to me. I'm an alcoholic and I don't want to die. Thank you just the same."

That simple statement changed how I felt about accepting what I was and was the catalyst to make the changes I did.

I thank her every time I see her.

There is more to the story, all good, but the important thing is making the decision to do something about it.

What we think, or what we know, or what we believe, is in the end, of little consequence. The only thing of consequence is what we do. -John Ruskin (1819-1900)

im younger than most of you guys, but know what it's like. started drinking at 13 and by 16 i was piss drunk everynight. drink till i pass out or run out of booze. only sober nights were spent surffishing, and then i'd get home and drink till i had to go to work. last night out drinkin was july 3rd. failed out of drexel, and failed lots of classes at my local community college. never lost a job, but never had a serious job or one that i couldnt drink at. been arrested for public drunkeness/disturbance several times and chased home on foot by cops countless times. somehow i never got a dui or a serious accident. I'm an addictive person, if i do something 3 days in a row, im probly gonna keep on doing it, which is why i never touched hard drugs. i knew if i liked it i'd be a junkie in a week. been a lil over two months and i been handling it pretty well. broke down on monday (9/11) and had halfa bottle of jack, luckily thats all i had around the house. time to get my life in order while i can. changing the crowd you hang out with helps the most. all my friends are or were drunks, so it's easy to do something now with out drinkin, where as before drinkin was why we were friends. good luck. I'd kill for a cold coors and a doubleshot of jack. hell one of my friends drank himself to death before he was 30

re-ban quest

Lot's of good experiance here. No drinking (alcohol) for me since November 10th 1992. No drugs either. 12 step fellowships really do work. Feel free to PM me anytime you can ask me anything you want or just say what you want. I will listen. That offer goes for anyone struggling with kicking booze and/or drugs.

You can do it.smile.gif

Wishin' I was Fishin'