g2h

who doesn't drink (alcohol) anymore?

Rate this topic

13,554 posts in this topic

On 11/2/2021 at 8:44 PM, mtl50 said:

It took years and losing almost everything I had. I say almost only because I didn’t lose my life. That was about the only thing I still had. I tried to go cold turkey once and ended up in a coma in the hospital. I died 3 times and 3 times they brought me back. Kept me sober about 2 weeks. I don’t ever want to go back there. I didn’t know how not to drink. Today I have a choice and today I choose sobriety. The days became months and the months became years. My dad told me he was proud of me. He said he enjoys my company now. We don’t see each other much because I moved to Florida and he lives in Connecticut. But he got to see me sober. Those words mean the world to me. I hope if I ever think about picking up a drink that I will remember them. Non alcoholics don’t understand but any sober alcoholic knows exactly what I mean. By the grace of God I will go to bed sober and by His grace I will make the choice to stay sober tomorrow. Life is all about choices. And life is GOOD!!

Tight Lines and High Tides 

Mike. 

I'm not an alcoholic but have seen the ravages it can do to a person. 

I am happy you are sober and I read this thread just to see stories such as this. Congrats on your sobriety, Mike.

AA Thought for the Day
A better way than judging people is to look for all the good in them. If you look hard enough and long enough, you ought to be able to find some good in every person. In AA I learned that my job was to try to bring out the good not criticize the bad. Every alcoholic is used to being judged and criticized. That has never helped anyone to get sober. In AA we tell people they can change. We try to bring out the best in them. We encourage their good points and ignore their bad points. People are not converted by criticism. Do I look for the good in people?
Meditation for the Day
There must be a design for the world in the mind of God. We believe His design for the world is a universal fellowship of men and women under the fatherhood of God. The plan for your life must also be in the mind of God. In times of quiet meditation you can seek for God’s guidance, for the revealing of God’s plan for your day. Then you can live this day according to that guidance. Many people are not making of their lives what God meant them to, and so they are unhappy. They have missed the design for their lives.
Prayer for the Day
I pray that I may try to follow God’s design for today. I pray that I may have the sense of Divine Intent in what I do today.

Quoted from the app 24 Hours a Day.

AA Thought for the Day
I am less sensitive, and my feelings are less easily hurt. I no longer take myself so seriously. Before becoming part of the fellowship of AA and working on myself, I was often angry. It didn’t take much for me to feel insulted, to feel that I had been slighted or left on the outside. What happens to me now is not so important. One cause of our drinking was that we couldn’t take it, so we escaped the unpleasant situation. We have learned to take it on the chin, if necessary, and smile. When I am all wrapped up in AA, I do not notice the personal slights so much. They do not seem to matter so much. I have learned to laugh at self-pity because it’s so childish. Am I less sensitive?
Meditation for the Day
God’s miracle-working power is as manifest today as it was in the past. It still works miracles of change in lives and miracles of healing in twisted minds. When a person trusts wholly in God and leaves to Him the choosing of the day and hour, there is God’s miracle-working power becoming manifest in that person’s life. So we can trust in God and have boundless faith in His power to make us whole again, whenever He chooses.
Prayer for the Day
I pray that I may feel sure that there is nothing that God cannot accomplish in changing my life. I pray that I may have faith in His miracle-working power.

AA Thought for the Day
I have gotten rid of most of my inner conflicts. I was always at war with myself. I was doing things that I did not want to do. I was waking up in strange places and wondering how I got there. I was full of recklessness when I was drunk and full of remorse when I was sober. My life didn’t make sense. It was full of broken resolves and frustrated hopes and plans. I was getting nowhere fast. No wonder my nerves were all shot. I was bumping up against a blank wall and I was dizzy from it. AA taught me how to get organized and to stop fighting against myself. Have I gotten rid of inner conflicts?
Meditation for the Day
“When two or three are gathered together in My name, there am I in the midst of them.” The spirit of God comes upon His followers when they are all together at one time, in one place, and with one accord. When two or three consecrated souls are together at a meeting place, the spirit of God is there to help and guide them. Where any sincere group of people are together, reverently seeking the help of God, His power and His spirit are there to inspire them.
Prayer for the Day
I pray that I may be in accord with the members of my group. I pray that I may feel the strength of a consecrated group.

AA Thought for the Day
Everyone has two personalities, a good and a bad. We are all dual personalities to some extent. When we were drinking, the bad personality was in control. We did things when we were drunk that we would never do when we were sober. When we sober up, we are different people. Then we wonder how we could have done the things we did. But we drink again, and again our bad side comes out. So we are back and forth, always in conflict with our other selves, always in a stew. This division of our selves is not good; we must somehow become unified. We do this by giving ourselves wholeheartedly to AA and to sobriety. Have I become unified?
Meditation for the Day
“Well done, thou good and faithful servant. Enter into the joy of thy Lord.” These words are for many people, including those we would often too easily pass by. There are many quiet followers who serve God unobtrusively and faithfully, who bear their crosses bravely and put a smiling face to the world. “Enter into the joy of thy Lord.” Pass into that fuller spiritual life, which is a life of joy and peace.
Prayer for the Day
I pray that I may not desire the world’s applause. I pray that I may not seek rewards for doing what I believe is right.

AA Thought for the Day
I have gotten over my procrastination. I was always putting things off until tomorrow, and as a result, they never got done. “There is always another day” was my motto instead of “Do it now.” Under the influence of alcohol, I had grandiose plans. When I was sober I was too busy getting over my drunk to start anything. “Someday I’ll do that”—but I never did it. In AA I have learned that it’s better to make a mistake once in a while than to never do anything at all. We learn by trial and error. But we must act now and not put it off until tomorrow. Have I learned to do it now?
Meditation for the Day
“Do not hide your light under a bushel. Arise and shine, for the light has come and the glory of the Lord is risen in thee.” The glory of the Lord shines in the beauty of your character. It is risen in you, even though you can realize it only in part. “Now you see as in a glass darkly, but later you will see face to face.” The glory of the Lord is too dazzling for mortals to see fully on earth. But some of this glory is risen in you when you try to reflect that light in your life.
Prayer for the Day
I pray that I may try to be a reflection of the Divine Light. I pray that some of its rays may shine in my life.

AA Thought for the Day
In AA we do not speak much of sex. And yet putting sex in its proper place in our lives is one of the rewards that has come to us as a result of our new way of living. The Big Book says that many of us needed an overhauling there. It also says that we subjected each sex relation to this test—was it selfish or not? “We remembered always that our sex powers were God-given and therefore good, neither to be used lightly or selfishly nor to be despised or loathed.” We can ask God to mold our ideals and to help us to live up to them. We can act accordingly. Have I got my sex life under proper control?
Meditation for the Day
“I will lift up my eyes unto the heights whence cometh my help.” Try to raise your thoughts from the depths of the sordid and mean and impure things of the earth to the heights of goodness and decency and beauty. Train your insight by trying to take the higher view. Train it more and more until distant heights become more familiar. The heights of the Lord, whence cometh your help, will become nearer and dearer, and the false values of the earth will seem farther away.
Prayer for the Day
I pray that I may not keep my eyes forever downcast. I pray that I may set my sights on higher things.

AA Thought for the Day
I no longer try to escape life through alcoholism. Drinking built up an unreal world for me and I tried to live in it. But in the morning light the real life was back again, and facing it was harder than ever, because I had less resources with which to meet it. Each attempt at escape weakened my personality by the very attempt. Everyone knows that alcohol, by relaxing inhibitions, permits a flight from reality. Alcohol deadens the brain cells that preside over our highest faculties, and we are off to the unreal world of drunkenness. AA taught me not to run away but to face reality. Have I given up trying to escape life?
Meditation for the Day
In these times of quiet meditation, try more and more to set your hopes on the grace of God. Know that whatever the future may hold, it will hold more and more of good. Do not set all your hopes and desires on material things. There is weariness in an abundance of things. Set your hopes on spiritual things so that you may grow spiritually. Learn to rely on God’s power more and more and in that reliance you will have an insight into the greater value of the things of the spirit.
Prayer for the Day
I pray that I may not be overwhelmed by material things. I pray that I may realize the higher value of spiritual things.

AA Thought for the Day
I no longer waste money but try to put it to good use. Like all of us, when I was drunk, I threw money around like I really had it. It gave me a feeling of importance—a millionaire for a day. But the morning after, with an empty wallet and perhaps also some undecipherable checks, was a sad awakening. How could I have been such a fool? How will I ever make it up? Thoughts like these get you down. When we are sober, we spend our hard-earned money as it should be spent. Although perhaps some of us could be more generous in our AA giving, at least we do not throw it away. Am I making good use of my money?
Meditation for the Day
You were meant to be at home and comfortable in the world. Yet some people live a life of quiet desperation. This is the opposite of being at home and at peace in the world. Let your peace of mind be evident to those around you. Let others see that you are comfortable, and seeing it, know that it springs from your trust in a Higher Power. The dull, hard way of resignation is not God’s way. Faith takes the sting out of the winds of adversity and brings peace even in the midst of struggle.
Prayer for the Day
I pray that I may be more comfortable in my way of living. I pray that I may feel more at home and at peace within myself.

AA Thought for the Day
I have gotten rid of most of my boredom. One of the hardest things that a new member of AA has to understand is how to stay sober and not be bored. Drinking was always the answer to all kinds of boring people or boring situations. But once you have taken up the interest of AA, once you have given it your time and enthusiasm, boredom should not be a problem to you. A new life opens up before you that can be always interesting. Sobriety should give you so many new interests in life that you shouldn’t have time to be bored. Have I gotten rid of the fear of being bored?
Meditation for the Day
“If I have not charity, I am become as sounding brass or a tinkling cymbal.” Charity means to care enough about other people to really want to do something for them. A smile, a word of encouragement, a word of love goes winged on its way, simple though it may seem, while the mighty words of an orator fall on deaf ears. Use up the odd moments of your day in trying to do some little thing to cheer up another person. Boredom comes from thinking too much about yourself.
Prayer for the Day
I pray that my day may be brightened by performing some little act of charity. I pray that I may try today to overcome the self-centeredness that makes me bored.

AA Thought for the Day
I no longer refuse to do anything because I cannot do it to perfection. Many of us alcoholics use the excuse of not being able to do something perfectly to enable us to do nothing at all. We pretend to be perfectionists. We are good at telling people how a thing should be done, but when we come to the effort of doing it ourselves, we balk. We say to ourselves: “I might make a mistake so I’d better let the whole thing slide.” In AA we set our goals high, but that does not prevent us from trying. The mere fact that we will never fully reach these goals does not prevent us from doing the best we can. Have I stopped hiding behind the smoke screen of perfectionism?
Meditation for the Day
“In the world ye shall have tribulation. But be of good cheer. I have overcome the world.” Keep an undaunted spirit. Keep your spirit free and unconquered. You can be undefeated and untouched by failure and all its power, by letting your spirit overcome the world; rise above earth’s turmoil into the secret chamber of perfect peace and confidence. When a challenge comes to you, remember you have God’s help and nothing can wholly defeat you.
Prayer for the Day
I pray that I may have confidence and be of good cheer. I pray that I may not fear the power of failure.

AA Thought for the Day
Instead of pretending to be perfectionists, in AA we are content if we are making progress. The main thing is to be growing. We realize that perfectionism is only a result of false pride and an excuse to save face. In AA we are willing to make mistakes and to stumble, provided we are always stumbling forward. We are not so interested in what we are as in what we are becoming. We are on the way not at the goal. And we will be on the way as long as we live. No AA has ever “arrived.” But we are getting better. Am I making progress?
Meditation for the Day
Each new day brings an opportunity to do some little thing that will help to make a better world, that will bring God’s kingdom a little nearer to being realized on earth. Take each day’s happenings as opportunities for something you can do for God. In that spirit, a blessing will attend all that you do. Offering this day’s service to God, you are sharing in His work. You do not have to do great things.
Prayer for the Day
I pray that today I may do the next thing, the unselfish thing, the loving thing. I pray that I may be content with doing small things as long as they are right.

AA Thought for the Day
I am not so envious of other people, nor am I so jealous of other people’s possessions and talents. When I was drinking, I was secretly full of jealousy and envy of those people who could drink normally, who had the love and respect of their families, who lived a normal life and were accepted as equals by their friends. I pretended to myself that I was as good as they were, but I knew it wasn’t so. Now I don’t have to be envious anymore. I try not to want what I don’t deserve. I’m content with what I have earned by my efforts to live the right way. More power to those who have what I have not. At least I’m trying. Have I got rid of the poison of envy?
Meditation for the Day
“My soul is restless until it finds its rest in Thee.” A river flows on until it loses itself in the sea. Our spirits long for rest in the spirit of God. We yearn to realize a peace, a rest, a satisfaction that we have never found in the world or its pursuits. Some are not conscious of their need and shut the doors of their spirits against the spirit of God. They are unable to have true peace.
Prayer for the Day
I pray that I may feel the divine unrest. I pray that my soul may find its rest in God.