g2h

who doesn't drink (alcohol) anymore?

Rate this topic

13,556 posts in this topic

Quote:

Originally Posted by mako20ft View Post

Good morning Digger,

4:05 on the alarm clock...we have similar schedules.

It's Friday sir...have a great one HappyWave.gif

Ha! Made me laugh! It's about 8:58am on the dvr clock, and I'm impressed w myself for being awake and on my 3rd cuppa joe.

Thank you Digger. Thank you Dutch.

I don't post a lot on this site but I always come back to this thread for probably the last 4 years I've looked in here and just told myself I can handle it. I don't think I can anymore. It's time for me to take the next step, I'm a lapsed catholic so I really don't care about the denomination, but I was wondering if anybody in the uppercape sandwich area can recommend a meeting.

Thanks

God bless

Saturday, August 16, 2014

You are reading from the book Twenty Four Hours a Day Hardcover (24 Hours)

Thought for the Day

"The alcoholic is absolutely unable to stop drinking on the basis of self-knowledge. We must admit we can do nothing about it ourselves. Will power and self-knowledge will never help in the strange mental blank spots when we are tempted to drink. An alcoholic mentally is in a very sick condition. The last flicker of conviction that we can do the job ourselves must be snuffed out. The spiritual answer and the program of action are the only hope. Only spiritual principles will solve our problems. We are completely helpless apart from Divine help. Our defense against drinking must come from a Higher Power." Have I accepted the spiritual answer and the program of action?

Meditation for the Day

Rest now until life, eternal life, flowing through your veins and heart and mind, bids you to bestir yourself. Then glad work will follow. Tired work is never effective. The strength of God's spirit is always available to the tired mind and body. He is your physician and your healer. Look to these quiet times of communion with God for rest, for peace, for cure. Then rise refreshed in spirit and go out to work, knowing that your strength is able to meet any problems because it is reinforced by God's power.

Prayer for the Day

I pray that the peace I have found will make me effective. I pray that I may be relieved of all strain during this day.

From Twenty-Four Hours a Day © 1975

Welcome Wally, I understand looking for a recomendation. Those early meetings are a scary propisition. They are all good, the trick is finding the right ones. I believe my Grandmother got sober in that area back in the early 50's. If I were closer I might join you. Grab a Big Book. Meetings are non demonational by the way.

welcome wally, stick around it gets better..........

on this night five years ago i was well on my way to my last drunk. at the time i had not drank for about six months and was cleaning my shed when i found a half quart of vodka, and just like the BB says i drank it down without even thinking of the consequences. ended up drinking all the wifes wine, argued with her so i could justify leaving the house and getting more vodka and beer. i came too behind the wheel of my car stuck in a culvert out on a tote road about 2 miles in the woods. most of the night was a blackout, i must have gone back home cause i was now in my pj's. i found a pint of vodka and two 16ouncers on the floor and chugged them down and passed back out. in the morning i had to walk out of the woods and figure out where i was. it was very difficult hitching a ride in my stewie christmas pjs. you should have seen some of the looks i got from well dressed ladies going to work....i knew without a shadow of a doubt that i was indeed powerless over alcohol. i called my old sponsor and asked if he'd again help me. he said he'd be honored..?. he told me "you don't get well to do the steps you do the steps to get well". we started the steps that week. we were at step six and i told him if i don't continue right now i may never keep going. so i got on my knees and asked my higher power to remove every defect of character that stands in the way of my usefulness to him and my fellows. when i looked up at my sponsor he was staring at me and crying, i asked why are you crying? he said there are angels all around you. it was a very powerful moment. i started my amends the next day. "dropping the rock" or making amends is the most powerful healing processes. everything in the promises is true. my craving for alcohol is gone. i have found when i am able to rely completely on this higher power life is very easy to handle and can actually be fun. is it always this way? no. at least now i can recognize when i get angry and scared it is usually me wanting something rather than letting Gods will just happen. i sometimes think the easy part was stopping drinking. erics will always wants his way. so now when an AA friend asks me how i 'm doing, i tell him.

sorry folks i misrepresented myself it's 5 years not 6,

Sunday, August 17, 2014

You are reading from the book Twenty Four Hours a Day Hardcover (24 Hours)

Thought for the Day

"To one who feels he is an atheist or agnostic, a spiritual experience seems impossible, but to continue as he is means disaster. To be doomed to an alcoholic death or to live on a spiritual basis are not always easy alternatives to face. But we have to face the fact that we must find a spiritual basis of life - or else. Lack of power is our dilemma. We have to find a power by which we can live, and it has to be a power greater than ourselves." Have I found that power by which I can live?

Meditation for the Day

Sunshine is the laughter of nature. Live out in the sunshine. The sun and air are good medicine. Nature is a good nurse for tired bodies. Let her have her way with you. God's grace is like the sunshine. Let your whole being be enwrapped in the Divine spirit. Faith is the soul's breathing in of the Divine spirit. It makes glad the hearts of human beings. The Divine spirit heals and cures the mind. Let it have its way and all will be well.

Prayer for the Day

I pray that I may live in the sunshine of God's spirit. I pray that my mind and soul may be energized by it.

From Twenty-Four Hours a Day © 1975

Ha! Made me laugh! It's about 8:58am on the dvr clock, and I'm impressed w myself for being awake and on my 3rd cuppa joe.

Thank you Digger. Thank you Dutch.

Hey Mike :wave:

Sorry I missed the reply....to busy in the booby thread I guess ;)

We should reconnect....genuinely enjoy the posts and PM's

Best to you and yours buddy

Dutch