who doesn't drink (alcohol) anymore?

Rate this topic

g2h

Saturday, August 2, 2014

You are reading from the book Twenty Four Hours a Day Hardcover (24 Hours)

Thought for the Day

Alcoholics Anonymous has no quarrel with medicine, psychiatry, or religion. We have great respect for the methods of each. And we are glad for any success they may have had with alcoholics. We are desirous always of cooperating with them in every way. The more doctors, the more psychiatrists, the more clergy and rabbis we can get to work with us, the better we like it. We have many who take a real interest in our program and we would like many more. Am I ready to cooperate with those who take a sincere interest in A.A.?

Meditation for the Day

God is always ready to pour His blessings into our hearts in generous measure. But like the seed sowing, the ground must be prepared before the seed is dropped in. It is our task to prepare the soil. It is God's to drop the seed. This preparation of the soil means many days of right living, choosing the right and avoiding the wrong. As you go along, each day you are better prepared for God's planting, until you reach the time of harvest. Then you share the harvest with God - the harvest of a useful and more abundant life.

Prayer for the Day

I pray that my way of living may be properly prepared day by day. I pray that I may strive to make myself ready for the harvest which God has planted in my heart.

From Twenty-Four Hours a Day © 1975

DiggerinVa

Sunday, August 3, 2014

Thought for the Day

We in A.A. must remember that we are offering something intangible. We are offering a psychological and spiritual program. We are not offering a medical program. If people need medical treatment, we call in a doctor. If they need a medical prescription, we let the doctor prescribe for them. If they need hospital treatment, we let the hospital take care of them. Our vital A.A. work begins when a person is physically able to receive it. Am I willing to leave medical care to the doctors?

Meditation for the Day

Each moment of your day, which you devote to this new way of life is a gift to God. The gift of the moments. Even when your desire to serve God is sincere, it is not an easy thing to give Him many of these moments: the daily things you had planned to do, given up gladly so that you can perform a good service or say a kind word. If you can see God's purpose in many situations, it will be easier to give Him many moments of your day. Every situation has two interpretations - your own and God's. Try to handle each situation in the way you believe God would have it handled.

Prayer for the Day

I pray that I may make my day count somewhat for God. I pray that I may not spend it all selfishly.

DiggerinVa

I've been sober for 6 years now. Alcohol was not my only addiction. I was raising my kids on my own, hiding my problem as good as I could. When my daughter told me that she wanted to go and live with her Dad(a raging alcoholic), I knew something was really wrong. I knew I couldn't quit on my own as I had been trying to kick it for over a year. Here in Akron, OH we have a great place called Interval Brotherhood Home or IBH. I went there and worked out all of my personal issues, well at least I learned to deal with them in a better way. They taught us to just stay sober today. Can't do anything about yesterday cause it's already gone, and you can't do anything about tomorrow, cause it's not here yet. Just try to live today the best you can. Don't keep it in the house, start wiping out the reminders of it in your life. And be thankful for all of the people in your life right now. Especially, your family. When you want to have a drink, get up and go do something with the kids. Get outside and go for a walk and for God's sake just breathe! When the stress starts to build and the alcohol is beginning to win the argument, take a few deep breaths in and out, slowly and deeply. This helps to relieve the anxiety.

The most important thing is to remember that you have a choice. Either scream your head off at the wife and kids or take a breath, walk over to them, get their attention by just standing there quietly; when they turn to see you standing there hold out your arms, let them come to you, and give them a loving hug. And breathe.

My ex (God rest his soul) got sober a year before he was diagnosed with throat cancer. My daughters were able to spend only one Father's Day with him while he was sober. But my youngest told me just this year that it was the Best Father's Day that she had ever spent with him. So, do it now! The rewards begin almost immediately. Take just one day at a time and they are a lot easier to deal with. Good Luck to you in your quest for sobriety! T

Monday, August 4, 2014

Thought for the Day

We in A.A. are offering a kind of psychological program as well as a spiritual one. First, people must be mentally able to receive it. They must have made up their minds that they want to quit drinking, and they must be willing to do something about it. Their confidence must be obtained. We must show them that we are their friends and really desire to help them. When we have their confidence, they will listen to us. Then the A.A. fellowship is a kind of group therapy. Newcomers need the fellowship of other alcoholics who understand their problem because they have had it themselves. Individuals must learn to re-educate their minds. They must learn to think differently. Do I do my best to give mental help?

Meditation for the Day

"And this is life eternal, that they may know Thee." It is the flow of life eternal through spirit, mind, and body that cleanses, heals, restores, and renews. Seek conscious contact with God more and more each day. Make God an abiding presence during the day. Be conscious of His spirit helping you. All that is done without God's spirit is passing. All that is done with God's spirit is life eternal.

Prayer for the Day

I pray that I may be in the stream of eternal life. I pray that I may be cleansed and healed by the Eternal Spirit.

DiggerinVa

I was relaying some sort of issue du jour to my sponsor who quite frankly seemed less than fully engaged in my diatribe.

"How much time do you have now?"

Uhhh, a little over two years...

"No, months...how many months?"

Twenty seven and a half months.

"Oh...then don't worry about it. That's just the twenty seven and a half month syndrome."

Prick ;)

hahaha, the 27 and a half month fallacy.

I've been sober for 6 years now. Alcohol was not my only addiction. I was raising my kids on my own, hiding my problem as good as I could. When my daughter told me that she wanted to go and live with her Dad(a raging alcoholic), I knew something was really wrong. I knew I couldn't quit on my own as I had been trying to kick it for over a year. Here in Akron, OH we have a great place called Interval Brotherhood Home or IBH. I went there and worked out all of my personal issues, well at least I learned to deal with them in a better way. They taught us to just stay sober today. Can't do anything about yesterday cause it's already gone, and you can't do anything about tomorrow, cause it's not here yet. Just try to live today the best you can. Don't keep it in the house, start wiping out the reminders of it in your life. And be thankful for all of the people in your life right now. Especially, your family. When you want to have a drink, get up and go do something with the kids. Get outside and go for a walk and for God's sake just breathe! When the stress starts to build and the alcohol is beginning to win the argument, take a few deep breaths in and out, slowly and deeply. This helps to relieve the anxiety.

The most important thing is to remember that you have a choice. Either scream your head off at the wife and kids or take a breath, walk over to them, get their attention by just standing there quietly; when they turn to see you standing there hold out your arms, let them come to you, and give them a loving hug. And breathe.

My ex (God rest his soul) got sober a year before he was diagnosed with throat cancer. My daughters were able to spend only one Father's Day with him while he was sober. But my youngest told me just this year that it was the Best Father's Day that she had ever spent with him. So, do it now! The rewards begin almost immediately. Take just one day at a time and they are a lot easier to deal with. Good Luck to you in your quest for sobriety! T

Good sound advise, but I personally found abstinence management didn't work, I drank regardless how anyone laid out my life for me.

I find I can do something about yesterday, its called amend.

For tomorrow I plan to do the same I did today.

Today I live.

Early on I attended the sort of meetings where they were trying to keep each other from drinking, "if your ass falls off you still can't have a drink, put it in a bag and go to a meeting".

That seemed to increase my desire to drink ( what we resist ..persists). Today I know we were playing God, no human has that sort of power.

Later I found a meeting where they were of the opinion that any alcoholic who wants to drink should drink, that seemed to have an opposite effect on my defiant nature.

I started to listen and heard something completely different, then found it was consistent with the big book "step over to the nearest bar and try some controlled drinking".

Once the big book had my attention my mind began to change, old ideas were exposed to be fraudulent, the lies I told me became as glaring as they already were to the world.

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Thought for the Day

We in A.A. are offering a spiritual program. The fundamental basis of A.A. is belief in some Power greater than ourselves. This belief takes us off the center of the universe and allows us to transfer our problems to some power outside of ourselves. We turn to this Power for the strength we need to get sober and stay sober. We put our drink problem in God's hands and leave it there. We stop trying to run our own life and seek to let God run it for us. Do I do my best to give spiritual help?

Meditation for the Day

God is your healer and your strength. You do not have to ask Him to come to you. He is always with you in spirit. At your moment of need He is there to help you. Could you know God's love and His desire to help you, you would know that He needs no pleading for help. Your need is God's opportunity. You must learn to rely on God's strength whenever you need it. Whenever you feel inadequate to any situation, you should realize that the feeling of inadequacy is disloyalty to God. Just say to yourself: I know that God is with me and will help me to think and say and do the right thing.

Prayer for the Day

I pray that I may never feel inadequate to any situation. I pray that I may be buoyed up by the feeling that God is with me.

DiggerinVa

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Thought for the Day

Psychologists are turning to religion because just knowing about ourselves is not enough. We need the added dynamic of faith in a power outside of ourselves on which we can rely. Books on psychology and psychiatric treatments are not enough without the strength that comes from faith in God. And clergy and rabbis are turning to psychology because faith is an act of the mind and will. Religion must be presented in psychological terms to some extent in order to satisfy the modern person. Faith must be built largely on our own psychological experience. Have I taken what I need from both psychology and religion when I live the A.A. way?

Meditation for the Day

Refilling with the spirit is something you need every day. For this refilling with the spirit, you need these times of quiet communion, away, alone, without noise, without activity. You need this dwelling apart, this shutting yourself away in the very secret place of your being, away alone with your Maker. From these times of communion you come forth with new power. This refilling is the best preparation for effective work. When you are spiritually filled, there is no work too hard for you.

Prayer for the Day

I pray that I may be daily refilled with the right spirit. I pray that I may be full of the joy of true living.

DiggerinVa

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Thought for the Day

We in A.A. are offering an intangible thing, a psychological and spiritual program. It's a wonderful program. When we learn to turn to a Higher Power, with faith that that Power can give us the strength we need, we find peace of mind. When we re-educate our minds by learning to think differently, we find new interests that make life worthwhile. We who have achieved sobriety through faith in God and mental re-education are modern miracles. It is the function of our A.A. program to produce modern miracles. Do I consider the change in my life a modern miracle?

Meditation for the Day

You should never doubt that God's spirit is always with you, wherever you are, to keep you on the right path. God's keeping power is never at fault, only your realization of it. You must try to believe in God's nearness and availability of His grace. It is not a question of whether God can provide a shelter from the storm, but of whether or not you seek the security of that shelter. Every fear, worry, or doubt is disloyalty to God. You must endeavor to trust God wholly. Practice saying: "All is going to be well." Say it to yourself until you feel it deeply.

Prayer for the Day

I pray that I may feel deeply that all is well. I pray that nothing will be able to move me from that deep conviction.

DiggerinVa