g2h

who doesn't drink (alcohol) anymore?

Rate this topic

13,566 posts in this topic

A.A. Thought for the Day

A.A. also helps us to hang onto sobriety. By having regular meetings so that we can associate with other alcoholics who have come through that same door in the wall, by encouraging us to tell the story of our own sad experiences with alcohol, and by showing us how to help other alcoholics, A.A. keeps us sober. Our attitude toward life changes from one of pride and selfishness to one of humility and gratitude. Am I going to step back through that door in the wall to my old helpless, hopeless, drunken life?

Meditation for the Day

Withdraw into the calm of communion with God. Rest in that calm and peace. When the soul finds its home of rest in God, then it is that real life begins. Only when you are calm and serene can you do good work. Emotional upsets make you useless. The eternal life is calmness and when you enter into that, then you live as an eternal being. Calmness is based on complete trust in God. Nothing in this world can separate you from the love of God.

Prayer for the Day

I pray that I may wear the world like a loose garment. I pray that I may keep serene at the center of my being.

From Twenty-Four Hours a Day © 1975 by Hazelden Foundation.

for me today: gonna wear it loosely!

A.A. Thought for the Day

When we alcoholics first come into A.A. and we face the fact that we must spend the rest of our life without liquor, it often seems like an impossibility to us. So A.A. tells us to forget about the future and take it one day at a time. All we really have is now. We have no past time and no future time. As the saying goes: "Yesterday is gone, for get it; tomorrow never comes, don't worry; today is here, get busy." All we have is the present. The past is gone forever and the future never comes. When tomorrow gets here, it will be today. Am I living one day at a time?

Meditation for the Day

Persistence is necessary if you are to advance in spiritual things. By persistent prayer, persistent, firm, and simple trust, you achieve the treasures of the spirit. By persistent practice, you can eventually obtain joy, peace, assurance, security, health, happiness, and serenity. Nothing is too great, in the spiritual realm, for you to obtain, if you persistently prepare yourself for it.

Prayer for the Day

I pray that I may persistently carry out my spiritual exercises every day. I pray that I may strive for peace and serenity.

for me today: joy, peace, assurance, security, health, happiness, and serenity sounds like a pretty good deal to me...all i have to do is try

today I will try

A.A. Thought for the Day

When we were drinking, we used to be ashamed of the past. Remorse is terrible mental punishment: ashamed of ourselves for the things we've said and done, afraid to face people because of what they might think of us, afraid of the consequences of what we did when we were drunk. In A.A. we forget about the past. Do I believe that God has forgiven me for everything I've done in the past, no matter how black it was, provided I'm honestly trying to do the right thing today?

Meditation for the Day

God's spirit is all about you all day long. You have no thoughts, no plans, no impulses and no emotions that He does not know about. You can hide nothing from Him. Do not make your conduct conform only to that of the world and do not depend on the approval or disapproval of others. God sees in secret, but He rewards openly. If you are in harmony with the Divine Spirit, doing your best to live the way you believe God wants you to live, you will be at peace.

Prayer for the Day

I pray that I may always feel God's presence. I pray that I may realize this Presence constantly all through the day.

From Twenty-Four Hours a Day © 1975 by Hazelden Foundation

For me today: I do not reget the past nor wish to shut the door on it...it has informed who I have become...and if i worry about the past or the future too much i can not enjoy today, and that would be a waste!

Living in the day

Diamondd~~~OUT!

A.A. Thought for the Day

When we were drinking, we used to worry about the future. Worry is terrible mental punishment. What's going to become of me? Where will I end up? In the gutter or the sanitarium? We can see ourselves slipping, getting worse and worse, and we wonder what the finish will be. Sometimes we get so discouraged in thinking about the future that we toy with the idea of suicide. In A.A. have I stopped worrying about the future?

Meditation for the Day

Functioning on a material plane alone takes me away from God. I must also try to function on a spiritual plane. Functioning on a spiritual plane as well as on a material plane will make life what it should be. All material activities are valueless in themselves alone. But all activities, seemingly trivial or of seemingly great moment, are all alike if directed by God's guidance. I must try to obey God as I would expect a faithful, willing servant to carry out directions.

Prayer of the Day

I pray that the flow of God's spirit may come to me through many channels. I pray that I may function on a spiritual plane as well as on a material plane.

another message to stay in the day---the moment

have a great friday!---not saturday or thursday--LOL

diamondd~~~OUT!

View Post8/27/93

My family has never seen me take a drink. It's a miracle. angel.gif

My family has, my kids have'nt (Thank God !)

My family still remembers "what it was like". If I ever need to know, I can just ask them (not a scene out of a Norman Rockwell), and that was a long time ago.It's sometimes hard to tell what kind of affect our drinking has on someone, but if you want to know just ask (a la 4/5, 8/9).

PS, sit down first!

A.A. Thought for the Day

In A.A. we forget about the future. We know from experience that as time goes on, the future takes care of itself. Everything works out well, as long as we stay sober. All we need to think about is today. When we get up in the morning and see the sun shining in the window, we thank God that He has given us another day to enjoy because we're sober, a day in which we may have a chance to help somebody. Do I know that this day is all I have and that with God's help I can stay sober today?

Meditation for the Day

All is fundamentally well. That does not mean that all is well on the surface of things. But it does mean that God's in His heaven and that He has a purpose for the world, which will eventually work out when enough human beings are willing to follow His way. "Wearing the world as a loose garment" means not being upset by the surface wrongness of things, but feeling deeply secure in the fundamental goodness and purpose in the universe.

Prayer for the Day

I pray that God may be with me in my journey through the world. I pray that I may know that God is planning that journey.

Just go straight to hell and make a u-turn.

• AA: Being a part of something is more important that being the center of attention.

• AA is the only place where you can walk into a room full of strangers and reminisce.

• AA romance.... the odds are good... but the goods are odd.

• AA: Look for a way in; not for a way out.

• AA: We are not reformed drunks, but informed alcoholics

• AA has no fixed address -- you can take it with you.

• AA: We are here for a reason, not for the season

• AA Groups: An AA group will be judged by the worst behavior of its members

• Before I came to AA I was dead, but did not know enough to lie down.

• In AA there are no losers -- just slow winners

• Alcoholic (as defined by self): A piece of crap that the universe revolves around.

• Alcoholic: Someone who refuses to give up a life of failure without a fight.

• A person who when s/he goes to a wedding, wants to be the bride and when s/he goes to a funeral, wants to be the corpse.

• An alcoholic is someone who wants to be held while isolating.

• Alcoholic: "I may not be much, but I'm all I think about."

• Alcoholic: "If I could drink like a normal drinker, I'd drink all the time!"

• Alcoholics burn their bridges in front of them.

• An alcoholic is someone who finds something that works and then stops doing it.

• If you think that you are an alcoholic, chances are you are.

• An alcoholic is a person with two feet planted firmly in mid-air.

• Non-alcoholics change their behavior to meet their goals; alcoholics change their goals to meet their behavior.

• An alcoholic can be in the gutter and still look down on people..

• High bottoms have trap doors

• If the cure works, chances are you have the disease.

• Three most dangerous words for an alcoholic: "I've been thinking"

A.A. Thought for the Day

We're all looking for the power to overcome drinking. When we alcoholics come into A.A., our first question is: "How do I get the strength to quit?" At first it seems to us that we will never get the necessary strength. We see older members who have found the power we are looking for, but we don't know the process by which they got it. This necessary strength comes in many ways. Have I found all the strength I need?

Meditation for the Day

You cannot have a spiritual need that God cannot supply. Your fundamental need is a spiritual need, the need of power to live the good life. The best spiritual supply is received by you when you want it to pass on to other people. You get it largely by giving it away. God gives you strength as you pass it on to another person. That strength means increased health; increased health means more good work, and more good work means more people helped. And so it goes on, a constant supply to meet all spiritual needs.

Prayer for the Day

I pray that my every spiritual need will be supplied by God. I pray that I may use the power I receive to help others.

From Twenty-Four Hours a Day © 1975 by Hazelden Foundation

For me today: I will remember that the character defect I see in others is usually a reflection of the same defect in me....i get sent the message to work on my defect over and over until I take care of it....if I want to quit getting the message, I should take care of the defect with step 6-7

have a fantastic sunday!

Diamondd~~~OUT!

A drunk is walking down the street and he's pretty loaded. He's got one foot on the curb and one in the gutter and is having quite a time.

Well, a cop sees this and keeps watching for awhile but finally has had enough.

Cop: Alright buddy, I'm placing you under arrest.

Drunk: What did I do ?

Cop: I've been watching you coming down the street and you're drunk !

Drunk: Oh thank you officer! I thought I was crippled.

A.A. Thought for the Day

Strength comes from the fellowship you find when you come into A.A. Just being with men and women who have found the way out gives you a feeling of security. You listen to the speakers, you talk with other members, and you absorb the atmosphere of confidence and hope that you find in the place. Am I receiving strength from the fellowship with other A.A. members?

Meditation for the Day

God is with you, to bless and help you. His spirit is all around you. Waver not in your faith or in your prayers. All power is the Lord's. Say that to yourself often and steadily. Say it until your heart sings with joy for the safety and personal power that it means to you. Say it until the very force of the utterance drives back and puts to naught all the evils against you. Use it as a battle cry. All power is the Lord's. Then you will pass on to victory over all your sins and temptations, and you will begin to live a victorious life.

Prayer for the Day

I pray that with strength from God I may lead an abundant life. I pray that I may lead a life of victory.

Ahhh well...too much naught and thou for thee?? Me too!

for me today I will look to let my character defect go...the one I am working on at the present time....who knows what one will be next! Gonna get the week off on the right foot!

LOl

Have a great day

DiamonddOUT!