g2h

who doesn't drink (alcohol) anymore?

Rate this topic

13,568 posts in this topic

Dillon-

I'm 38, finally got this thing we're all working on at 35. 18-35 was a wasteland. Wish I could have gotten it sooner, but was not ready.

First few months I was sober, I thought I would never have fun again. I then got a coffee commitment, then met a few guys with whom I have things in common other than drinking (fishing, hiking, etc) and now have a life so full I could never have imagined it.

Hang in there. Wait for the miracle to happen.

-Aaron

Dillon,

I received this at 16, I haven't got it yet, that was a long time ago.

DAILY REPRIEVE, CONTINGENT ON THE MAINTENANCE OF MY SPIRITUAL CONDITION

Hunting, fishing and the out of doors are definitely spiritual things for me, I don't think I could get along very well without them.

One of the low points of my existance came when my dad told me that I couldn't accompany my brother and him on a hunting journey because he couldn't trust me anymore (I thought that I was very proud of the ethics my dad had taught me, and now he was telling me that I didn't have them!) BUT THAT DIDN'T MAKE ME QUIT!

An alcoholic has (maybe) reached his bottom, when things are going bad faster than you can lower your standards!

As long as I was willing to justify my BS, it was just another day. "I didn't even like that job", "she's just a pain in the ass", "what do they know about it", "I didn't want to go hunting anyway" (lying to myself and everyone else)

There's some language in our literature that talks about character building for it's own sake, I found that in the steps, with the help of others.

Don't Drink, Go to Meetings, Call your Sponsor, Read the Literature, and Pray.

All of these other things will come to you, and more.

PS: There's a spiritual retreat coming up soon for my home group, lots of the guys that go there fish (Quite a few are even on one or more of the tours)

PM me

Dillon, check your PMs.

J R, great meeting you today! Fr would have just loved knowing that not only were people reunited through this, but others have come together for the first time. I'm a firm believer in "things happen for a reason" and most of the time, its not even our business to know the reason(s) at the time, we just have to look for positives, and proceed. Skinny water light tackle cows coming soon...

View Postmy original sobriety date was july 11th 2006, i was 16 when i got sober and now im 18 and just relapsed in the begginning of february. if any of you who know any young guys like my self trying to get sober please let me know im always interested in meeting poeple in AA and fisherman, we all know what that alcoholic lonelyness feels like.

send me a pm if anyone wants to further communicate.

day 18 back on the wagon...

Post your new date! Be proud of it, and protect it! In fact, how about a clean time countdown? I'll start on the next post.

Twenty Four Hours a Day

Saturday, March 14, 2009

You are reading from the book Twenty Four Hours a Day Hardcover (24 Hours)

A.A. Thought for the Day

Can I get well? If I mean: "Can I ever drink normally again?" the answer is no. But if I mean, "Can I stay sober?" the answer is definitely yes. I can get well by turning my drink problem over to a Power greater than myself, that Divine Principle in the universe which we call God, and by asking that Power each morning to give me the strength to stay sober for the next twenty-four hours. I know from the experience of thousands of people that if I honestly want to get well, I can get well. Am I faithfully following the A.A. program?

Meditation for the Day

Persevere in all that God's guidance moves you to do. The persistent carrying out of what seems right and good will bring you to that place where you would be. If you look back over God's guidance, you will see that His leading has been very gradual and that only as you have carried out His wishes, as far as you can understand them, has God been able to give you more clear and definite leading. You are led by God's touch on a quickened, responsive mind.

Prayer for the Day

I pray that I may persevere in doing what seems right. I pray that I may carry out all of God's leading, as far as I can understand it.

"persevere in doing what seems right" or do the next right thing. That's kept me going many a 24 hours.

Sunday, March 15, 2009

You are reading from the bookTwenty Four Hours a Day

A.A. Thought for the Day

We alcoholics were on a merry go-round, going round and round, and we couldn't get off. That merry go round is a kind of hell on earth. In A.A. I got off that merry go-round by learning to stay sober. I pray to my Higher Power every morning to help me to keep sober. And I get the strength from that Power to do what I could never do with my own strength. I do not doubt the existence of that Power. We're not speaking into a vacuum when we pray. That Power is there, if we will use it. Am I off the merry go round of drinking for good?

Meditation for the Day

I must remember that in spiritual matters I am only an instrument. It is not mine to decide how or when I am to act. God plans all spiritual matters. It is up to me to make myself fit to do God's work. All that hinders my spiritual activity must be eliminated. I can depend on God for all the strength I need to overcome those faults that are blocks. I must keep myself fit, so that God can use me as a channel for His spirit.

Prayer for the Day

I pray that my selfishness may not hinder my progress in spiritual matters. I pray that I may be a good instrument for God to work with.

God calls when he needs you. It is up to you to be ready to meet that call. I must strive to be ready.