Re-Securing a railing to a Plaster Wall?

Rate this topic

BigLuke

Guys.....I just removed the railing on my stairwell because the screws were coming out of the wall. Seems like the prior owner just put the screw into the plaster walls and of course they eventually came loose.

I tried using the metal screw in type anchors in the existing holes but the plaster just crumbled and made a bigger hole.

So i filled in the holes with plaster of paris and am waiting for it to harden.

What would be the best way to resecure the railing where the existing holes are/were?

Thanks.

"Life is Not a Dress Rehearsal!"
Member #1666

If moving the railing is not an option cut away some space between the two studs and attach a 2 x 10 nailer securely between the studs at the height where the railing will meet the wall. Plaster/rock over the the 2 x 10, and attach your railing in the same location.

Alan

• 8 months later...

First there isnt a beam in your wall, it is a stud that you are looking for. next a stud finder is a unecessary tool for you to purchase since you have mud handy. Your hand can detect a stud by knocking on the wall when the pitch is high your on the stud or close if it is low pitched when knocking you are in the stud bay or between studs. Studs should be every 16" and the original installer didnt locate the studs or he did locate that they just werent there and he didnt care. Use a nail to locate one stud after knocking (cost 1 peny and 2 seconds) drive nail hit or miss until you find center (patch later) then measure over 16" again in either direction, confirm next stud with nail poke technique, Mark out probable studs on wall and confirm. Check now if you can adjust anything about the railing to see if you can match up the hardware to the studs ie slide up or down left right, or move actual hardware on rail to match. If so your lucky you only need two of the four screws to hold the rail unless for handicapped persons per attachment area. Make sure the screws will go into the stud 1&1/2" remember your sheetrock has thickness 1/2 or 5/8" account for that in your screw sellection (2"). If you just cant line anything up you must open the wall and the bays to put in some wood blocking between stud bays. Patch then start over with the installation.cwm13.gifcwm13.gif

Secondly a stud finder is usally inacurate on plaster too thick and too much lathing to register also irregular surface of wall will throw off reading and unless you know how a house is built you will get false readings. I do agree that for plaster walls its tricky unless you know carpentry, yes pre drill but youll burn up your bits even if they are advertised fo the job. New solution if opening wall is eminent it will suck. to minimise mess cut a 2 b 4 about 8" long also cut plywood to same face shape 4 b 8 attach ply wood with finnish nails green 2 by works good, dry will crack plywood helps fight cracking. Make a hole just big enough to slip the board into the wall with your hand or some way to hold the wood screw though the plaster and lath and into your blocks only two screws one in top one in the bottom. Patch plaster resume installation. wood must be placed so that when the railing goes on the holes hit the meat of your block this will pull the block to the wall basically a huge molly bolt wich is what you made your smaller holes with.cwm12.gif