Skate Bait

Inline Circle hooks vs offset

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

What are the advantages and disadvantages of each the in-line circle hooks versus the offset circles? Why are only inline circle hooks pemitted on the Deleware River in the spring?

Off sets increase the risk of a gut hook. The inline hook slides more easily along hte inside of the fish. I straighten my off sets and make them inline. Scott

Off sets increase the risk of a gut hook. The inline hook slides more easily along hte inside of the fish. I straighten my off sets and make them inline. Scott

But the offset must have some advantage, or why would they make it?

offsets aren't true circle hooks and, IMO, work more like regular hooks. I really think they're just for people that like the idea of a circle hook but still want to set the hook.

inlines rock once you get used to them.

Here's a good TimS explanation....

http://www.stripersonline.com/surfta...d.php?t=358521

I agree with Scott O and EBHarvey. Offset circle hooks defeat the the main reasons for using circle hooks (i.e. mouth hookups and almost bullet proof hookups). they have a much higher percentage of hookups in the gut and other soft tissues.

Posted (edited) · Report post

First offset circle hooks or any offset hook for that matter does not result in gut hooking, that is absurd.

offsetting the radius 10 degrees off of the shank is what is best and what the pros do.

the offset enhances the hooking abilities for the hook to get the jaw bone resulting in more jaw hookups and less deeper internal hooking.

Again gut hooking only results when a fish has time to swallow the bait.

You control that with sensitivity feeling the bite and reaction.

gut hooking is the result of an inexperienced angler or one not paying attention to his line like a river fisherman casting and setting rod on a v stick and using a bobber.

nothing wrong with relaxing while fishing but indicating offset hooks gut hook fish when jigging , Texas rigging, and my favorite drop shoting bait or artificial 10 inches behind a split shot is just plain wrong and misconstrued information.

When using these techniques you will never gut hook a fish since these techniques require the angler to be in control of the line.

gut hooking a fish only happens if you allow the fish to swallow the bait and this is where devolved skills in line, finger and rod sensitivity comes into play and most importantly practice.

nothing beats time on the water and finessing a fish into biting then setting the hook based on feel and rod and finger sensitivities.

offset is best for the more experienced serious angler.

VD

Edited by VanDam

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, VanDam said:

First offset circle hooks or any offset hook for that matter does not result in gut hooking, that is absurd.

offsetting the radius 10 degrees off of the shank is what is best and what the pros do.

the offset enhances the hooking abilities for the hook to get the jaw bone resulting in more jaw hookups and less deeper internal hooking.

Again gut hooking only results when a fish has time to swallow the bait.

You control that with sensitivity feeling the bite and reaction.

gut hooking is the result of an inexperienced angler or one not paying attention to his line like a river fisherman casting and setting rod on a v stick and using a bobber.

nothing wrong with relaxing while fishing but indicating offset hooks gut hook fish when jigging , Texas rigging, and my favorite drop shoting bait or artificial 10 inches behind a split shot is just plain wrong and misconstrued information.

When using these techniques you will never gut hook a fish since these techniques require the angler to be in control of the line.

gut hooking a fish only happens if you allow the fish to swallow the bait and this is where devolved skills in line, finger and rod sensitivity comes into play and most importantly practice.

nothing beats time on the water and finessing a fish into biting then setting the hook based on feel and rod and finger sensitivities.

offset is best for the more experienced serious angler.

VD

The reason for the regulation is to address those " inexperienced angler or one not paying attention to his line like a river fisherman casting and setting rod on a v stick and using a bobber." There are thousands of these type of fishermen. Being that the offset hooks are "more effective", they will result in more gut hooks from the perspective of many regulatory authorities. You have essentially explained why offset circle hooks hooks are not legal in many fisheries.

Edited by GuiltyAsCharged

VanDam you have know idea what your talking about as far as circle hooks. Gets some more hands on using them on multiple species . Get back to forum in 20 years and tells us what the results are . 

Personally I don’t see the difference. All I know is I throw bait only keepers can hit and swallow so even if I gut hook it’s not an issue. Big baits catch big fish.