Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
papa

stripers new jersey shore

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Hi Guys I am new to this board although I gotta tell ya I read this board constantly and thoroughly enjoy the conversation.But you guys are scaring the h out of me with all of this talk about no fish. I finally got back into the surf last year and have it back in my blood and NO FISH. I was planning on spending Labor Day weekend in the surf but maybe I should visit a college football stadium instead ( Just Kidding) doesnt even compare to fishing. Even if all I catch is the anticipation of catching something.

Welcome papasmile.gif

I wouldnt worry to much atleast for now. From what I have been told, bass are in the wash, ya just have to work real hard for um.

I havnt spent much time out front this year, most of my fishing has been done from a Yak working the little creeks and such in South Jersey. Plenty of fish in the backsmile.gif

I do plan to hit the beach tonight, somthing I havnt done in about a month...Im long overdue for one of them all night plugin fer bass cause I have off from work NIGHT'swink.gif

SF

------------------

Is it Hot in here, or is it just me!!!

[This message has been edited by Striperfever (edited 08-14-2001).]

Welcome Papa, make yourself at homesmile.gif

As to the stripers and your fears, no they all aren't gone. There are precious few stripers on the Jersey shore these days...but there some. It's not time to panic, but it is time to take note and make sure we don't let bad management keep the stripers from our coast.

You can catch fish...they will be far fewer than any year in the past 20...and they will also be far smaller than any year in the past 20...but yes, there are still some around. It depends on what you expect from the ocean. Do you expect a healthy and diversified striped bass on the shore? If so, you'll be horribly disappointed. If you expect to fish hard and get one or two bites, then you'll have to work hard, but it can happen wink.gif

TimS

Papa,

I don't know where you fish, but in south jersey the mullet are just beginning to show in the back bays, and I'm getting more and more reports from guys catching bass. While striper numbers aren't in great shape, it's not that the bass haven't been around for the past few weeks, it's just that they've been feeding on spearing or calico crabs almost exclusively making them dificult to catch with anything else. The small size of the spearing make they diificult to imitate and even when that can be achieved with a fly or small fin-s, the spearing are usually so abundant it can be difficult for the bass to pick out your offering. But with the mullet here our striped friends as well as the smaller weaks and blues are once again feeding on a bigger bait giving us greater chances of catching fish plugging. The mullet have not yet hit the surf, but when they do there should be a pretty good increase in action, but right now your best bet would be to hit the bays late night-sunrise and try to find popping bass or schools of bait and then fish around there.

Labor day can be okay if you fish hard in the right places, if your in south jersey though, your best bet might be to stick to the bays, and maybe hit the surf from 4:30 to 7:00. goodluck